Rotating Hybrid Objects

oliver.williams

Question

Hello, 

I am putting speakers from the resource manager into my VW 2023 3D model. I can bring the speaker into the 3D space just fine, but when i try and rotate the speaker it says it can only be rotated parallel to the layer plane. However I need to rotate it in another plane. 

Is there a way you can rotate hybrid objects in a way that isn't parallel to the layer plane or is there a way to change the orientation of the layer plane?

Here is my example: I want to rotate this speaker so it lies horizontal not vertical. but the rotate tool comes up with the error when I try to do this so I can only rotate this speaker on its end. 

image.png.e2e48a449b20f748eb5427a626f4a6d7.png

Any help would be much appreciated

11 answers to this question

You are best duplicating the symbol, rotating the 3D geometry inside it (the 3D component), then editing the Top view 2D component so that the geometry correctly reflects how the object would look in Top/Plan. Then you will have two versions of the symbol: the original where the speaker is vertical + the new one where it's horizontal.

A 3D-only symbol you can rotate any which way you want but a 2D/3D hybrid symbol you can't because the 2D geometry can't automatically redraw itself to reflect the new orientation. You have to do it manually. But easy enough to do.

BTW I'm assuming this is a standard symbol + not a special Spotlight device of some kind...

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

You are best duplicating the symbol, rotating the 3D geometry inside it (the 3D component), then editing the Top view 2D component so that the geometry correctly reflects how the object would look in Top/Plan. Then you will have two versions of the symbol: the original where the speaker is vertical + the new one where it's horizontal.

A 3D-only symbol you can rotate any which way you want but a 2D/3D hybrid symbol you can't because the 2D geometry can't automatically redraw itself to reflect the new orientation. You have to do it manually. But easy enough to do.

BTW I'm assuming this is a standard symbol + not a special Spotlight device of some kind...

thanks, removing the 2D component of the hybrid symbol worked

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello,

Tom is right. However assuming that you're a Spotlight user if you want the benefits of turning that library symbol into a "higher level object" then insert it using the Speaker tool in the Events toolset. There's a flip check box and a tilt field, and of course all the other benefits of using the Speaker object.

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 3.35.45 pm.png

Cheers,

Peter

I have often wished Vectorworks would add a new parameter in the OIP for all hybrid (2D/3D) objects which would allow you to switch the display of the object between hybrid, 2D only, and 3D-only. A few object types already have something like this (for example AutoHybrid Objects can switch to 2D-only) but this new feature would be something more universal. 

This would solve so many issues like the one in this post and across many others in these forums. It would add the flexibility to rotate a hybrid object on any 3D axis (which would simply switch the object’s display to 3D-only so that the 2D component becomes irrelevant for that instance, without having to make a separate symbol definition). The current restrictions in this regard are so frustrating at times. 

Similarly there are times where I want a PIO to be 2D-only when working in simple plan documents, where I don’t need any 3D geometry. I could switch the display to 2D-only and keep the file simplified. 

A simple drop-down in the OIP to choose how an object displays would add oodles of flexibility to working with hybrid objects in VWX

• Like 1

Interesting point Andy. You should do an enhancement request and it seems the precedent is already there.

The hybrid Straight and Curved truss tools can be rotated freely without any warning, likewise any hybrid symbol placed by the Truss tool. The Curved Truss and Truss objects once rotated become 3D only, and the Straight Truss maintains it's hybrid nature. Spotlight has always broken the rules!

Cheers,

Peter

Hi,

i often draw 3D and make a symbol of my drawing.

In the 3D editing part of the symbol i convert to an autohybrid and get a hydrid symbol with 2D + 3D.

You can switch the hybrid symbol to 2D only, if you want.

Greetings from Germany

Tobi

Edited by Tobias Kern
  • Like 3

Hi Tobi,

In case you don't know, if you right click in the empty 2D part when editing a symbol, the program will create the 2D either as a wireframe or dashed or normal Hidden Line render. Much less overhead than an autohybrid!

image.png

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Peter Neufeld. said:

if you right click in the empty 2D part when editing a symbol,

Peter

@Peter Neufeld. I am not seeing this

I am assuming that you have a Symbol, it is 3D Only - you select it - select edit ( ⌘-[ ) - Then right click outside the object ?

(Switched Workspaces to check an unaltered Contextual menu - also tested a 2D Symbol and a Hybrid)

Peter

5 minutes ago, Elite Exhibits said:

Peter

@Peter Neufeld. I am not seeing this

I am assuming that you have a Symbol, it is 3D Only - you select it - select edit ( ⌘-[ ) - Then right click outside the object ?

(Switched Workspaces to check an unaltered Contextual menu - also tested a 2D Symbol and a Hybrid)

Peter

You need to enter the edit mode for the relevant 2D component e.g. Top, Front, Left, etc. That is where the 2D geometry will be created. Like Peter says:

14 hours ago, Peter Neufeld. said:

if you right click in the empty 2D part when editing a symbol

1 minute ago, Elite Exhibits said:

Thanks

Except- see attached, right click when editing a 3D Only Symbol ?

Edit 3D Symbol.pdf 164.01 kB · 0 downloads

Peter

A 3D-only symbol has the same component edit interface, it's just that the 2D components are all blank (like Peter said). You can still enter those edit modes + add 2D geometry + in the process convert the 3D symbol into a hybrid symbol. Right-clicking + using 'Generate 2D from 3D component...' is just one (very convenient) way of adding 2D geometry but equally you could paste geometry here or draw it directly...

• Like 1