Turntable - Animating object

On 4/17/2023 at 8:42 AM, Peter Neufeld. said:

Wow, this is the first time I've been able to fake a mirror ball. An Array of Renderworks Spotlights at 90º with a dot gobo texture in all 6 of them, coupled with a sphere with a mirror surface as a symbol spinning! All due to SP3  amazingly allowing any texture be applied to a Renderworks Spotlight plus then Michael's spinning script!

Plus it's going in the opposite direction of the revolve! I'd still like the following:

• Being able to bring it back somehow to it's original start position otherwise it's trial and error and hitting the space bar to stop
  • It would be great to choose the degrees up to 360º. Maybe if 360º is chosen it just keeps spinning and that is the default?
  • Somehow be able to couple it up with the animation export so users can control the number of frames and size?

Either way in a seemingly short period of time Michael you've created a really easy to use and very useful script that answers @DiggleDesigns original question so much better than my feeble attempt!

Spin Me Revolve 2.vwx

Cheers,

Peter

Hey @Peter Neufeld. any change to reupload your file for a test spin. Now link just says "Sorry! We could not locate the item you are trying to view."

• 4 weeks later...

awake-woke.gif.fe9b99f55a119bbaf383ff489e17f419.gif

@DCLD you have summoned me - well played.

A few months ago I had the time to sit and finally crack the QuickTime Recording using Vectorscript, as most probably used in Animation Works, Solar Animation and Animation Pathing.

Although I'm now using it for several more advanced animation and pathing tools in Vectorworks which are not yet released, I thought this particular thread deserved an update.

@michaelk I've added to your (not so at all) badly coded rehash, and over-skinned my current/draft QuickTime code.

Please find the attached file - however keep the following in mind;

Combined Concept of Michael Klaers and James Russell

240420A - Multiple Rotate with Recording Module.vwx

1. Ensure this file is saved somewhere. Wherever you save it also make a 'Movies' folder.

Screenshot2024-04-20at8_34_10pm.png.e71a9b4a120cb1319a2299e685f9787e.png

2. Find the Script Pallet under Window > Script Pallets > Adventures in Spinning is open.

3. Double Click "Multi Spin w/ Record" to start.

4. Videos will be output to the Movies folder in the same location as the file.

5. Movie setting are hard coded (25FPS #WelcometoPALAustralia), however can be unlocked by changing

QTSetMovieOptions(movieRef, 25, 10, false, false);

to

QTSetMovieOptions(movieRef, 25, 10, true, false);

6. Enjoy this concept file.

Example Renders Below;

Core Example Concept File 

Core Example (IsoMetric Clear)

Hidden Line User Example

(Thanks @Peter Neufeld. for a cool file!)

OpenGL User Example (Full Speed)

OpenGL User Example (10th Speed - Better Lighting)

As much of this thread alludes to there's many better ways to do this in actuality, my most common one being TwinMotion and translators these days. But in terms of seeing something cool through to an endpoint this is it.

Enjoy!

J

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Hats off to you as well James. Amazing! However the QT file is not saving in the same file location.... Vector Script seems to be running to the allocated location, however no 'MOVIE' file is created. 

Thanks for arising to the 'summons'.

Edited by DCLD
  • Like 1

@DCLD are you a Windows user per chance?

I've just checked my Windows system and of course file structures are 'Movies/' on Mac and 'Movies\' on Windows - I should have known.

I've just uploaded a new version which saves the output files directly wherever the current files is saved.

240421 - Multiple Rotate with Recording Module.vwx

Or if you want to you could change the line; 

On Mac:

T := Concat(T,'Movies/',Date(2,2),'.mov');

On Windows:

T := Concat(T,'Movies\',Date(2,2),'.mov');

I'll have a dig tonight and find a check for the platform of choice as it would be nice to keep the folder structuring (and also be able to Make Folder depending on if the Movies Folder is present or not... but that's for later!

Happy rendering, and let me know if that solves it on your system!

Cheers,

J

On 4/14/2023 at 3:47 AM, Claes Lundstrom said:

It used to be very easy to do in earlier versions of VW, but for some reason it was removed for some enigmatic reason, and was replaced by something way more complicated. A simple spin, and a basic back and forth motion should be a pre-defined settings in my opinion. It's by far he most used presentation I use. 

The old way is one of my most missed features from previous versions of VW. I used it all the time.