Stuck on opening file at Step 7 of 12: Resetting Text and Dimensions...

Rolan Castaneda

Question

5 answers to this question

Yes. It found 50 files.  But my VW project is still taking forever to open.  I am able to open other VW projects except for one.   I opened a backup from 2 days ago that opened in just 1 min and 20 sec.  I caught up on everything I did before it "corrupted".  I saved and closed.  Then I tried to open it again, and it's stuck at Step 6 of 11 again.  I believe it is the Callout Tool that is messing things up. Should never have updated to v2023.  Everything was fine in v2022. 

On 4/14/2023 at 9:45 AM, Rolan Castaneda said:

Should never have updated to v2023.

Hi Rolan,

I provide Tech Support for Vectorworks in the New Zealand market. Hope I'm not too late to provide some value for you. If so, other users could benefit. 

I'm happy to tell you that correlation does not equal causation in this scenario and that this problem is extremely unlikely to be due to any bug specific to Vectorworks 2023. The most likely cause for this issue, - especially if you have noticed problems specific to a tool that has its own preferences - are the Vectorworks Settings files, or some other data kept in the parent, 'Vectorworks User Data and Preferences Folder.' Issues with these files can occur at various times or various reasons. I suggest you try setting aside your current Vectorworks 'Settings' folder and seeing what results. The method is as follows: 

1. Quit Vectorworks 2023. 
  2. In Finder, open the Go menu and choose, 'Go to Folder…'
  3. Paste in, '~/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2023' and click Go. 
  4. Rename the 'Settings' folder to something meaningful like, 'Settings @2023-04-20'
  5. Reopen Vectorworks and see if the issue continues. - If it does, repeat the above process but rename the parent folder, '2023.' 

This process will of course retire your current Vectorworks Preferences and tools settings etc, or all customised content if you retire the whole User Folder. This data can be reinstated as-required but in this scenario, if issues return after reinstating files or folders, correlation will equal causation and said files should be permanently removed. 

• Like 1