Easiest way to drape a property line on a site model?

JonKoch

I've got a site model that extends beyond the property line and I want to make sure that I am designing within the property line. I created a property line with the tool in the site planning tool set and sent it to the surface so that it drapes on the model? I've attached a screen shot. You can see the line got sent to the model at the lowest point but then digs into the model on the right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 10.29.43 AM.png

4 hours ago, JonKoch said:

I've got a site model that extends beyond the property line and I want to make sure that I am designing within the property line. I created a property line with the tool in the site planning tool set and sent it to the surface so that it drapes on the model? I've attached a screen shot. You can see the line got sent to the model at the lowest point but then digs into the model on the right. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Select your property line.

In the OIP, scroll down to "site model" then look at the "site Modifier", set it to texture bed.

this will render the property line to the site model.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

In the OIP, scroll down to "site model" then look at the "site Modifier", set it to texture bed.

@jeff prince I tried this and it just stays underneath my site model. I tried setting the texture bed class to the same as the site model but it still only sends it to the lowest part of the site model and the uphill part is getting buried. I'm sure it's some small setting that I'm missing but ah well. Not a huge deal. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, JonKoch said:

@jeff prince I tried this and it just stays underneath my site model. I tried setting the texture bed class to the same as the site model but it still only sends it to the lowest part of the site model and the uphill part is getting buried. I'm sure it's some small setting that I'm missing but ah well. Not a huge deal. Thanks!

If you want to post a file exhibiting the problem, I'll take a look at it for you and let you know what is wrong.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jeff prince said:

If you want to post a file exhibiting the problem, I'll take a look at it for you and let you know what is wrong.

Here's the file. I figured out that I needed it to be closed but it's a lakeside property so I'll have to adjust the property line by the lake to make it close on the shoreline. I did get it to work, but it made a texture bed and then made the entire area inside the property line grey and I couldn't edit it. Thanks for taking a look! I'm sure there's a whole host of other errors in the file but we've got on site VWX training coming up next week so hopefully I'll be getting a bit better! Thanks again. 

1516630963_Projecttest.vwx

9 minutes ago, JonKoch said:

Here's the file. I figured out that I needed it to be closed but it's a lakeside property so I'll have to adjust the property line by the lake to make it close on the shoreline. I did get it to work, but it made a texture bed and then made the entire area inside the property line grey and I couldn't edit it. Thanks for taking a look! I'm sure there's a whole host of other errors in the file but we've got on site VWX training coming up next week so hopefully I'll be getting a bit better! Thanks again. 

1516630963_Projecttest.vwx 58.99 MB · 0 downloads

I hit the update button on your site model and it rendered the property line onto the model as expected with no other changes.

I noted your property line was elevated on the z axis which makes it poke thru the site graphically, you can drop that down to 0 or some level below the lowest point of the site model.  This probably happened when you "sent to surface"

Your property line is on the same CLASS as the site model, don't do that. Put each on an independent class so you can control the graphics to your liking.

Putting the property line on a unique CLASS lets you produce things like this easily....

1125522697_ScreenShot2023-03-30at14_17_19.thumb.png.62c48224451e1cb1e8e302359081d955.png

Apply a texture to the property line (glass used in this instance so you can see it actually modifies the faces of the surface model, you can use any texture)

Use a solid fill for the property line (shade the lot)

I could have sworn in previous versions, you could change a class's fill opacity to give things a transparent look, but that does not seem to be the case.

Here's one of my old models in 2021 using a property line to mapped to the site model...

183546993_ScreenShot2023-03-30at14_27_53.thumb.png.52deaaf96db150515c5c9095842da98c.png

• Like 4
3 hours ago, jeff prince said:

This is the system that I use. You have to ensure that you use a good texture, i use a grass texture to make it easy to see the client's site. 

2023-03-31_11-55-35.png

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

This is the system that I use. You have to ensure that you use a good texture, i use a grass texture to make it easy to see the client's site. 

@Jonathan Pickup I'm playing around with it and figuring some things out and I got this to work. One question I have: Is it possible to turn a texture bed on or off? I've tried greying the class and some other things but say for instance I've got some wetlands on my site that I want to display on the site model with a blue fill. I don't want them on all the time but just sort of as a reference for the client to see how the design elements will fit adjacent to those areas. Not sure if this is something that can be done or not. 

16 minutes ago, kawchman said:

I'm playing around with it and figuring some things out and I got this to work. One question I have: Is it possible to turn a texture bed on or off? I've tried greying the class and some other things but say for instance I've got some wetlands on my site that I want to display on the site model with a blue fill. I don't want them on all the time but just sort of as a reference for the client to see how the design elements will fit adjacent to those areas. Not sure if this is something that can be done or not. 

Neither the property line nor the texture bed site modifier are best for the situation where you want to turn things on and off frequently or have a variety of different graphic outputs for the same thing.  The reason for this is Vectorworks seems to modify the faces of the site model to render them behind the scenes.  Site model snapshots may be one way to address this.  Alternatively, you can use other model geometry not explicitly tied to the site model (like site modifiers) to display such things.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jeff prince said:

Neither the property line nor the texture bed site modifier are best for the situation where you want to turn things on and off frequently or have a variety of different graphic outputs for the same thing.  The reason for this is Vectorworks seems to modify the faces of the site model to render them behind the scenes.  Site model snapshots may be one way to address this.  Alternatively, you can use other model geometry not explicitly tied to the site model (like site modifiers) to display such things.

Yeah you're right. The only thing I did notice that I could do is if I used the property line tool and use it as a texture bed, I can go into the OIP and turn it to "none" to have it not display on the model and then turn it back to texture bed and update the model and it comes back on. I suppose I could use this for the other situation I was talking about but probably a little unorthodox. 

I meant Texture Bed (still working from memory).  I’m not seeing it above, but I believe you.

This is what I do with Heliodons to get shadows on different building elevations, so I was hoping it would be the same with the DTM. 

Could you reate multiple DTMs n separate files and reference them in?  Seems like a coordination nightmare. 

Edited by E|FA
  • 1 month later...
On 3/30/2023 at 10:25 PM, JonKoch said:

Hello, same experience her. It just place the property line flat level when you use the texturebed. So the 3D poly is the solution (+ the propertyline in 2D...this should be an easy fix for the developer)

7 hours ago, GeegeeDee said:

Hello, same experience her. It just place the property line flat level when you use the texturebed. So the 3D poly is the solution (+ the propertyline in 2D...this should be an easy fix for the developer)

If you use the property line tool, go into the OIP and under "site model" choose "texture bed". This will drape it over your site model. You can make it a certain color or texture to differentiate it from the rest of the model. Make sure that your site model has its settings correct so that it can accept site modifiers from the layer that you put your property line on. Unfortunately, you can't change the opacity or anything of the texture bed. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...