Hello Community!

This Saturday, May 30, from 9am – 12pm EDT we will be performing maintenance on the Vectorworks Community Board. During this time, the site will be unavailable.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Spotlight will read a tab delimited test file, just make sure there are no consecutive tabs in the file, empty fields should be represented by a dash (-). The problem you will face is having a unique identifier to match your data with the spotlight lighting device. Normally when you export from Spotlight you also export a unique identifier so that on import the unique identifier can be used to match incoming data with lighting devices in the document.
  3. So I Figured out a "workaround". If you go to File>Print and print as a PDF, that works. I guess you could batch print all of the plants that you wanted if you made a plant catalog. Only other thing is that it does not look at the plants you have in the drawing. You have to search for each plant or pull up/ create a catalog.
  4. Hi All! I'm Trying to export the type of form below for all of my plants in my drawing. Cant seem to find a export to PDF function in the VW Plant Database. anyone have any ideas on how i might go about doing this?
  5. I would not bring in a venue DWG file into my working file. I always import into a blank file and then spend as much time as I can afford to clean it up. Then I just viewport that drawing (as Pat mentioned a “shuttle file”) into my project file.
  6. Yesterday
  7. I un-installed VW 2020 literally within 30 minutes of installation - 3/4 of that time on the phone with tech support. It was not because of the candy-land GUI of which I'm obviously not a fan. It was because within literally 30 seconds of using 2020 I discovered a bug (confirmed) that crippled my workflow to the point of absurdity. I'm running Mojave on a Mac (dark-what? who cares, and no) and evidently this bug is only associated with that OS. I open and use the resource manager frequently; especially when modifying/editing textures, hatches, renderworks styles, symbols etc. etc. In 2020 on Mojave, if you hit command-r the resource manager window will open but you have to resize the window - every. - single. - time. It will not retain the saved palette position as expanded. Essentially I would be spending almost an hour a day resizing the bloody window. Bug confirmed by tech support, and un-installed immediately. They are on SP3 and 2020 has been out for at least 8 or 9 months I really don't know because I always wait until at least the second service pack before even considering updating. So essentially the $2k for SS subscription for the last two years was for an updated product that actually doesn't work at the most basic level of workflow. Despite this I am an avid VW user and supporter. And like the probably 99.8% of the people using this program and the forums I am vested and don't have the time, money, much less desire to change platforms. However, I couldn't care less about the obscure cool tool, or feature you may use once every 10 projects, much less new ridiculous icons if my workflow with the software is constantly sabotaged by new iterations. I am concerned with a fast, intuitive, and effective workflow bc, like everyone else here, I need to draw fast and have it present well. I'd be willing to bet that there are exponentially more users running Mojave w/ VW than there are who absolutely need or want darkmode. Please developers, focus on the actual effective use of the software before chasing gimmicks to indulge a very slim margin of the user base. And respectfully to the previous poster; I'm certain everyone posting here spends long hours in front of a screen. All said, the VW tech support team has always been extremely helpful and polite (usually calling them when aggravated) and the company in general has a good customer service and usually a great product. Off soapbox...
  8. Actually there is a hope via this topic found in online manual Now I just need to force exported patch into format Spotlight can read
  9. Besides the dimensioning tools that looks wrong in Dark Mode, the new icons are very confortable for eyes, when you work long hours in front of a screen, I think the icons are straightforward to use and there are always space for improvement, but the icons for Dark Mode are between Archicad abstract icons and the ultra cheesy icons of Revit..
  10. I'm not sure how relevant this is. There's plenty of ways to approach a dark mode icon set. A conscious decision was made to go with the cartoony mess that we ended up with. I just fail to comprehend how this decision is made when I'm assuming you want to be considered a pro tool product.
  11. Yes I wonder that too, Why design the interface for 1/3 of the users? Disregarding Mac Light Mode and PC users? I don't understand the need for icon change just so Mac Dark mode would look good. was there an outcry from Mac dark mode users, or was there one person on the GUI team enamored with Dark Mode?
  12. There's already a wishlist post. Please vote (triangle at top right): And a longer discussion with some feedback from VW:
  13. I was exceptionally slow to load 2020 this year but I was disappointed to see that the desktop icons changed to double line images. They are too small to warrant pale blue shaded double line graphics- please go back to the simple, single line icons we have been using for the past 10 years. Vectorworks is an amazing product that puts out some great graphics but this is not the place to get cute.
  14. The answer I got from 3Dconnection on this issue was as follows “the navigation with the SpaceMouse in Vectorworks had been implemented by Vectorworks into their product. Please contact their support team and explain that this is a feature you would like to see with their product.” So Vectorworks please advise. Bob
  15. In the first place, thanks for the quick reply, Jesse. I know. I have simply uploaded the images to compare how the beams are shown in the second and not in the first. The Pan and Tilt position of the fixtures is different in each image. I have uploaded the MVR file in which I have experienced the problem, the GDFT file of the fixture I have used and the Vectorworks file from which I have created it. Archivo comprimido.zip I hope you can discover the problem! Thank you!
  16. @Pat Stanford @fabrica Thanks for your help. Everything working well. @Pat Stanford I will move everything to 0.0 once i finished the wall, thanks again.
  17. @vassenYet again your objects are too far from the origin of the drawing. Move everything back to close to the 0,0 point of the drawing page. Also, your Wall Style is set to have no Fill. Edit the Wall Style. From the Definition pane click the Edit Wall Attributes button. Set the Fill to something other than none. The None Fill of the Wall Style is the biggest problem, but having the drawing far from the origin can cause this kind of problem also.
  18. @michaelk Hello, i am having the same issue in vectorworks 2020. May be am doing something wrong with my wall style? Attached is my file. Thanks for your kind help ARTWORK_29052020.vwx
  19. @Vlado I posted 6 items that need to be fixed. Some are more important than others. The key thing to realize is that surveyors mark their drawings with bearing notations that can be pi radians different from what the tool assumes, and that is very common. Often, the bearings are copied from an adjacent co-linear or parallel property line. Also, the assumption about arcs always is that they are tangent to the straight segments at either end. The notation "back tangent" is not going to be helpful to most users, and given the above assumption, is probably not something users need to be aware of. The tool should automatically draw arcs tangent. The red circle is helpful to know which end of the polyline is where the next segment starts (but automatically displaying the closing line is confusing). When editing a property line, however, the red circle is ambiguous, and the actual segment being edited needs to be distinguished. I'd reckon that if you can easily recreate this boundary, you will have solved most of the problems (bear in mind that like many surveys, this one does not close): Property line.pdf To understand the context of this survey, I have attached the document from which it was derived. We often have to work from this kind of information (the parcel is at 7027 Shirley Dr.). At times I've had to work from a metes and bounds description, which is a verbal recitation of the segments of a boundary. 48D7296.02.PDF
  20. Thanks michaelk and ColinW for the help.
  21. Hi @Jiajing , I just did some quick testing of your script. There are some side effects you need to be aware of. Short answer: vs.ForEachObjectInList() and ForEachObject() work differently. The first procedure walks through a list of handles where you supply the first object in the list. The second procedure walks through every object in the drawing. You change the selection state when you hide or gray objects by changing their class visibilities. I am assuming that is what you are doing. Your use of vs.ForEachObjectInList(AssignClass, 2, 2, vs.FInGroup(vs.GetParent(Dummy))) uses option 2, 2 which means Selected and Deep. If your group objects are grayed because they are in a Hidden Class they become unselected. Your script is using the SEL criteria to process objects, so unselected objects will not be processed as you walk through the list. If your groups are grayed another way, you'll have to see if this is still true. Notice your LW and color are set because ForEachObject() works differently from vs.ForEachObjectInList() and does not need the outer group to be selected to see selected objects inside that are selected. If you change your settings to vs.ForEachObjectInList(AssignClass, 0, 2, vs.FInGroup(vs.GetParent(Dummy)) you can enter grayed groups. This may not work exactly as you'd like so you may have to play with it. HTH, Raymond
  22. Hi @P Retondo This is a known issue, and there are wishes to update this tool. We have it high on our lists to update and improve the workflows with. Regards, Vlado
  23. Has it really been 12 years since the above post (incredulous voice)? I recently needed to revise the plugins that I created from this thread and thought that they might be useful to some of you, so I'm going to include them here. These are all point and shoot tools. Clicking on an object carries out an action. Listed in order of appearance (icons below) TA_Set To Active Class - In the event that an object is mis-classed. This tool lets you click on the object and move it to the active class. TA_Class Hide - Sometimes a class is in my way and I just want to hide it from view. Clicking on an object will hide its class. TA_Activate L+C-Tool - I jump around a lot in the drafting process. When clicking on an object, this tool makes the active layer and class that of the object. I've set this one to a standard hot key in the workspace editor (makes it really convenient to use). Use at your own risk ... but works fine on my 2020 mac setup and as they are über simple and should work on most any configuration of VW. To use: Download, move into your plugins folder (start or restart VW) and then add them to your workspace. TA_Set To Active Class.vst TA_Class Hide.vst TA_Activate L+C-Tool.vst
  24. @rDesign yes, these are still options for renewing your maintenance plan. Please reach out to our Service Select team at the contact information in your email and they can help assist you with the best option for you. Kind regards, Nicole
  25. Ask the designer to export their file from VW into a dwg version compatible with your AutoCad version. VW can export to most dwg versions. It’s useful if they supply a pdf version of the file so you have a visual reference in case there are are any obvious issues with the exported file.
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.