All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. This is a short video on editing device labels and populating the dropdown menu in the OIP. Device Label Attributes.mp4
  3. I third that WYSIWYG approach. For architectural drawings I always use 1/4" for Design Layers. From there it's easy to scale up Viewports to 1" (for details eg) or down to 1/8" or less (for Site Plans).
  4. There is an even easier way. Print to PDF, then re-save the PDF and add Grayscale Filter. This works perfectly, with one caveat: certain colors (yellow, eg) become much darker than expecting in Grayscale. So you need to do a bit of trial and error in that regard.
  5. It is likely the high number of closely spaced points at your curves. My understanding is that Offset tries to move each point individually and does not like it when it can't move a specific point to where it needs to be. Is this an exact shape you require? Or could you redevelop the shape using NURBS or Bezier points to reduce the number of points, especially at the curves.
  6. Update - apparently it somehow has to do with the coordinates of the symbol that you're currently editing. If the symbol is at the origin then the bug doesn't happen. As the symbol moves further away from the origin the texture preview object moves off to the side... and symbols far away from the origin fully exhibit the bug. If you edit the Symbol via the RM then the bug doesn't happen, only if you're editing a Symbol in the document. Attaching a screen recording to JIRA as well.
  7. I just discovered that if I snap a lighting device to a tick mark the device is shown as being top hung in 3D. If I snap to any point on a hanging position that is not a tick mark, the lights are bottom hung. Is this a setting I changed when creating my hanging positions?
  8. No problem - I'll attach a file to the bug report on JIRA, but note that it happens in every single file, when in any symbol, working with any texture. It's never not happened, since mid 2020.
  9. DaveBB

Lagging Offset

Hi folks! I'm having trouble offsetting this object. I'm looking to offset inside and outside the shape by 2" the program lags quite a bit when I select offset then the object. Often to offset fails with no error message. Sometimes the program crashes all together. It's not a hardware issue, this PC is stacked.
  10. Since the last version of the stepsister software in the nemetschek family I am no so sure that lots of offices will change. They added not much in terms of functionality. A workflow that only applies to a very small set of projetcs. And the other features are cloud related and add additional cost to the software. They have good marketing and word to mouth. And which office would openly admit that they made a mistake switching. I am more excited about the guys from belgium. They leverage AI in a interesting and useful way and seem to be very nimble in terms of development of new features.
  11. I'll second the WYSIWYG approach. As I work on a drawing I want to be looking at what the final result is going to be. I find the scale of a viewport at the last minute results in much muttering at the screen as some text moves over something I'm trying to show.
  12. Today
  13. You can fully customize the look. Change fonts/sizes, change cell borders, etc. If you post a file with a few of the symbols you want to use, I can give you a basic worksheet you can use as a starting point to develop what you need.
  14. Alright, yes, I've been checking that one out but I'm not familiar with it yet 😃 I guess I could use different symbols to begin with, that'll do the trick for now since I havn't started with record formats yet (way above my knowledge) 😃 So, with the worksheet, can I get a nice looking sheet layer with the numbers of each symbol then? Or do I need to use the built in Excel-looking format? I'll search on YT for Data tag straight away! Thanks for such swift reply!
  15. I would probably consider using a Worksheet to do the count and then include the worksheet as part of your title block. You could probably also do it using the Data Tag. How are you identifying each bit of information? Symbol Name? Record.Field? Class? Something else?
  16. @_c_ I think VW is more popular in oversees markets than it is in America - or so I have been told. Australia / Japan is where I heard it has more significant market share. But that is based on hearsay.
  17. @_c_ I think that AutoCad's high satisfaction rate is because they do not know any better. Most AutoCAD users simply have never used anything else - except SketchUp. It would be like being dissatisfied with a pencil - it just is what it is. I had the opposite trajectory - started on VWs and then moved to AC and was totally astonished about how backwards it felt in comparison. "I have to draw a door out of lines? What is this 1986?" - I did not get it. I have worked as the VW trainer and chief at several firms - and brought many people into the VW world. Almost everybody I have trained have a gone through a predictable progression of - bafflement and Frustration (No command line??? / Layers are classes and classes are line colors???) / begrudging understanding / continued frustration as they learn the more advanced features and master the list of VW workarounds, back doors, and troubleshoots / acceptance that VW does have advantages over AC / then finally most report having serious frustrations with AC when they are forced to move back.
  18. @Alex Sagatov That worked! I changed the default opacity back to "Use Class Fill Opacity" Saved and reopened and everything is solid again. Thank you! I needed another set of eyes to see this. Weird that VW draws the lighting fixtures at the attribute pallet on open vs at class level like drawn? Should this be submitted to VW as a bug?
  19. I want to have my titleblock setup so when I add i.e a hoist, the titleblock, which has a field that states "Hoists - Count" shows the accurate number. I'd like to have it like this: 1000kg hoists Audio - ## (##=the amount of 1000kg Audio-hoists) 500kg hoists audio - ## 1000kg hoists Lights - ## Seats on upper bleacher Seats on lower bleacher ... and so on. Any tips? Thanks all!!
  20. It is understandable that VW concentrates on what it knows better, its own direct market: the small sized American office. That is unfortunately the reason for the loss of confidence from the international user, who diverges towards its most immediate competitor en masse, here. I won't say the A-word. That one, weirdly, manages a pretty universal user satisfaction in spite of using so much less interface, interesting, isn't it? 😉
  21. @wrios - This issue seems to be linked to your default attributes. If you click in a blank area so that nothing is selected (Object Info Palette says "No Selection"), and then look at your attributes palette, the default opacity is set to 50%. This appears to be causing the gray out effect we are seeing initially. If you click on this opacity drop down, you can set it to be by class like the other attributes you appear to be working with (if that is what you want). Nudging the object is causing it to redraw with 100%, because the class the lighting devices are in are set to have 100% as opposed to 50%. Doing a Spotlight Menu > Refresh Instruments will cause all of the lights to appear at 100% again. To be honest, looking at this, I am confusing myself a little bit in terms of if this is working properly or not...
  22. The best option is to set you design layers at "close" to the desired output size. So if you are going to do your plans at 1/4", site plane at 1/8" and details at 3/4", you probably want your design layers to be at 1/4". That way the line weights and test sizes are close to WYSIWYG. For the viewports that are at other scales you can click on the Advanced... button at the bottom of the OIP and set the Line and text scaling options so you have consistency acrosss the entire set. Others will probably be able to offer more specific advise.
  23. @Vectorworks team We have identified a bug in VW2021 which has been reproduced in both our migrated file, and a file created from scratch. The issue is that for our device symbols, we customize our dev_label_generic with additional text fields that are linked to the user1, user2, user3 dev_rec record type to show the additional info that we have for them. This is not working right now. The good news is that the data is still there, so I am not worried about it for now, but it needs to be fixed. Please see attached screenshots of the issue and a blank file created and reproduced with it. Linktext.vwx
  24. Hi, I'm in the process of setting up a set of contract documents (working drawings) for a series of small houses. My initial efforts have yielded unintentional changes in drawing size, text size, arrowhead size, etc., as the design layer viewports are set into the sheet layers. For a relative beginner what, in your opinion, is the best and clearest documentation on how to set up a working drawing work flow in VW? For keeping text size, relative line weights, etc. constant through several scales? Should all design layers be at 1:1 and let the sheet layer reflect the scale? What happens to text size? I'm sure the answer is out there! Thanks, RLB in Brooklyn
  25. Hello, I'm having an error in a file. This error has moved from VW 2020 to VW 2021, so it must be the file. When I open the file, all lighting fixtures seem to have a transparency. When I nudge a fixture, it turns solid. The solid state doesn't save with the file. I saved this as a new file with today's date, closed and reopened and the fixture is transparent again.. This doesn't seem to be tied to any class attributes that I can find. I happens on the design layer and effects the sheet layers as well. I tried removing breaking all references as well, and same results. Please help! This was a show that was canceled because of Covid but I'm trying to use this file to teach from. Thank you in advance! 09-VW-Elixir-09.30.2020-Fix.v2021.vwx
  26. @BGD- If someone else has a better way of handling this, I am all ears, but I would normally approach this in the following way: First, a quick explanation: The "Plant" object you currently have in there are not showing up based on how they are built. Our default plant resources use Image Props in 3D which makes them significantly faster than using direct 3D geometry. In turn, they do not work well for render modes like this. The image prop is simply an image/texture on a plane, propped up in 3D... so a render mode like this doesn't really know how to display that. --- A fully modeled 3D plant (Such as VBVisual) also likely wouldn't work too well with a render mode like this as they will likely provide solid 3D planes where the different leaf/branch textures are located. Example: Based on what you want, I feel like we would need to go at this with stacking viewports. For this workflow to work, your plants would likely need to be on their own design layer(s). Here is a quick example from a file I just threw together: First, I started with a viewport that had all of the geometry besides the plants visible and used an artistic render mode. It came out looking like this: I then duplicated that viewport, swapped the layer visibilities to just show my plant layer(s) and I used an OpenGL Render mode: With the top, OpenGL viewport that includes the plants only... I then messed with image effects to get a grayed, no colors, slightly blurred look to try to match my other sketch as closely as I could (in ~3 minutes of testing): If you want to send me over a copy of the file (direct message), I can mess with it a bit in your file specifically.
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.