All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Note: Changed the Title of this question from 'Checking 'This Titleblock is Active' to NOT take 30+ seconds' to better reflect the conversation topic
  3. Today
  4. DMcD

macOS Catalina (10.15) Compatibility

HA, First up, the 2020 install I did was a full install on a high spec 2018 MBP running the latest Mojave. I had three or four crashes a day. That's enough for me. In comparison on the same computer, 2019 is very stable and hardly ever bombs (now). 2020 did not have much in the way of speed improvement over 2019 when rotating complex 3D shapes although the compressed save files are nice. The Mac Pro is still a current computer. Yes is old but was high end and at the time of writing, the replacement is not on sale. Comparing the performance of iMacs and the MBP, I'm happy that the Mac Pro outperforms them, especially with 2 x 30" monitors running VW 2019. It's VW2020 which plays up on the same Mac Pro. We develop software and there's no doubt that Mojave was a nightmare for developers and we have been very cross with Apple over this year. However, our software runs on Catalina without any changes. That being said, have no intention of upgrading to Catalina for anything other than testing our software for end users who update by mistake. It's fine to say reformat but… if VW was the only software I used, then this would be easy. But it's not the only software on the computer and re-downloading a host of Adobe stuff, X-Code, FCP, and all the rest would take close to a week at our internet speeds. Doing a migration of an old OS back to a new install seems to be the worst solution. BR D
  5. Yes, I can send one of them to you. I just tested again. The file opens just fine, but I tried to zoom with the mouse scroll and it immediately froze, the screens then went black. They came back to the desktop with VW completely white. I had to force close. Hopefully, you can see if it is something with the file itself. If it doesn't mess up on your end then maybe it has to do with some local APPdata or ProgramData files?
  6. Yesterday
  7. Paul Chapman

Site Model Display Units

Where has the option to select the display units on the site model contour label gone? It was a fantastic addition for a while, but I cant seem to find it anymore. Is it buried in the settings somewhere? The work around of changing the document units to Meters updating the model and Never updating again is clumsy. Design Chaps Ltd Warkworth NZ VW 2019 SP5.2
  8. Aaron Cananzi

spanset symbols / plugins

I've been using vectorworks at a very basic level for a while now and I'm just beginning to delve into what it's capable of. How would you suggest I go about creating these?
  9. Hi Kevin Thank you for your feedback. I can see that we have a support case open regarding the slowness problems you are experiencing, so the team will continue to work with you through that channel to attempt to resolve that. Meanwhile, you asked for a full list of features, which you can find here: New Features Listed in Help System 2020 Additional Features I did want to touch on some of the points you raise in the meantime: GIS Improvements. You don't need to invest in ArcGIS to make use of the services offered with this tool. It enables the easy combination of CAD and GIS data within the same geographic coordinate system. List Browser Direct Editing - no, there is no way to turn this off. Widget Groups - This should not affect your interaction with the software at all. The Widget groups should be open by default, and if you don't close them, everything will still be available to you without extra clicks. You mention that you have been forced to use a hierarchical display for classes since 2019. This is something that you can control within Vectorworks Preferences. Open the Session tab and uncheck Display classes in pop-up menus hierarchically. The team will continue to work with you regarding the slowness you are experiencing.
  10. scottmoore

spanset symbols / plugins

They are not particularly difficult to make. I have mine set up for various size trusses rugged high, low and inverted.
  11. ASagatovVW

Buying New Laptop...Need Recommendations

Just thought I would throw in my two cents. This is my personal experience/preference, not an “Official Vectorworks” answer. Similar to @RussU, I would recommend custom building when possible. So many options and a lot of fun if you get into it! That being said, there are times when going with a specific brand of prebuilt desktops or laptops are the way to go. I built a number of custom desktops, but a few years ago, I was at a point where I wasn’t in one specific spot on a regular basis. As a result, I started reluctantly looking into “gaming” laptops for the first time. I hate LED covered, “gaming” branded stuff. This was one of the areas that made laptop shopping so hard for me. Everything that had the hardware I wanted was ugly to me. After months of research and talking myself in and out of different options, I decided to go with a Razer Blade 14”. The 14” line isn’t around anymore, but they now have 13”, 15”, and 17” options. I can honestly say that I don't regret my purchase at all. It’s been four or so years now, and the laptop still looks almost new (Granted, I take very close care of it). The hardware is still pretty great (intel i7 4720HQ, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 970M 3GB, and a 4K display). I am personally a huge fan of the keyboard, trackpad, and my unexpected love for the touch screen. It handles my games without a problem. It handles the professional/CAD work I’ve put on it without issues as well. The metal casing and basic look is exactly what I wanted. The thin and light weight of it is always great when I am carrying it around. The laptop definitely gets toasty and when the fans crank on, it is pretty loud. Definitely a laptop I wouldn’t want to use on my lap; however, I’ve also never used a cooling pad or anything with it. It handles the heat properly. I've had day long gaming sessions without problems, but its toasty to the touch in certain locations. The fan noise is definitely my biggest pet peeve, but I normally have headphones in, so I rarely notice. Also, fan noise is pretty common complaint for high end hardware laptops. My model also only has green backlighting… new models offer full RGB, so you can go with a solid white/gray backlight which is what I would really want. My model also doesn’t include an ethernet port. Every machine comes with its pros and cons. If I were in the market for a new laptop, I would look at the Razer Blade line again. Definitely search around for reviews.
  12. Simon Allan

VW2020 Hidden Line - Speedy Speed

Interesting to read you got better results with HLR in VW2020. I was curious so did a test on a simple drawing (5 viewports on one sheet, all HLR) that I am currently working on in VW2019. Here are the results. VW2019 (SP5.3)=345 seconds VW2020 (SP1)=373 seconds Like usual...disappointing.
  13. Matt Panzer

(section)viewports not rendering 2d items

You're welcome, Frank. Feel free to send a VW 2018 file. This will allow me to see what you already have in 2018 and how it changes in 2019. -Matt
  14. Frank Schnater

Hello Matt, Thanks for the tip; I didn't know these functions yet. Unfortunately the result is exactly the same. Or maybe I should say 'luckily' as it would even confuse me more if two methods that I would expect to do the same would give different results! I'm using a drawing that was set up in VW2018 as a test file (as we have drawings for 900 dwellings set up in VW2018 that we would like to keep using), but I'll set-up a test- file in VW2020 to see if I get the same results tomorrow. Frank
  15. GGC

Viewport "Styles"

Until Viewport Styles will become a reality here are the steps with which such a workflow is possible for edit once for X Sheets For class or layer visibility only select all the target viewports in the organization menu → edit to turn on or off the target class or layer For graphic attributes and visibility 1st define the needed graphic attributes in the Data Visualization dialog Next Select all the target viewports in the organization menu → edit → turn on the target class or layer and select the Data Visualization setting previously defined (see OIP screen capture) Note that the Data Visualization tool is only available when a design layer is active Update: The Data Visualization setting will remain set when switching to saved view design layer(s) environment → need to switch to Data Visualization setting to none, or find the preference or VS script to add to each saved view to switch the Data Visualization setting to none. To expand on the Data Visualization viewport option either as a wish or bug: As long as Data Visualization is an option for specific Viewports it does not make sense for the Data Visualization setting for specific viewports to remain visible in the design layer(s) environment.
  16. Appreciate the response @KIvanov.. will file enhancement request for second point. Cheers
  17. Boh

Find Text

You can use data base worksheets to locate items if you right click in the row header and click "select item". (It has to be a single item - i.e. not summed or summarised). Yes keynotes can only be on one keynote legend. You can choose which legend the callout keynote appears but it can only appear on one legend. Here's another thread discussing getting keynotes the same across multiple sheets and keynote legends. Cheers
  18. K: These days 4gb vram is barely enough. I'm running 16 but 8 should do it. I'm also running 32GB of RAM in an effort to future proof the hardware a little. 2020 like others before it, won't be stable until SP2 (and sometimes 3). As functionality goes, unfortunately 2020 is mostly window dressing. There are numerous features and user requests that got ignored. I've stuck with 2019 for now simply because I don't trust 2020. Too many time-sucking issues to overcome... Sorry I don't really have anything concrete to offer, but you have my sympathies.
  19. shorter

The 3Rs reformat reinstall refresh
  20. leecalisti

Notes Manager VW2020

@jnr I am having similar problems. I can't seem to add notes or additional Sections in the Database. They disappear once I've added them. This feature used to work, now it does not. I have copied and pasted notes from another file, but they don't seem to stay in the database - the VW one or the User one. I tried to add a Section titled "Restrooms" for relevant notes. They disappear. Confused
  21. michaelk

On the occasions when VW has been causing me problems I try running it after booting in safe mode. It's really annoying that it always makes the problem go away. Which means I have an extension or something else I truly don't understand 🙂 that is causing the problem.
  22. David S

Thanks for your support to Frank, Matt!
  23. _c_

No Stories, No Problem

Thank you Zeno, 😀 ... I just have been reproached that I speak a total mix between German and English! I think that we will do a common zero for the project. We must use the coordinates during IFC export, so, let's go for "common zero".
  24. mjm

Extrude VW2019 vs. VW 2020

I have found that the line, converted to nurbs, can be extruded to a nurbs surface, which I 'think' can then be transformed to Polygon.
  25. Matt Panzer

@Frank Schnater, Could you post or send me a file showing this problem? My initial hunch is that your "horizontal section" is a "regular section" that was created from an elevation viewport? If so, try creating a horizontal section by using the "Create Horizontal Section" command in the View menu (in VW 2019 or 2020) and see if you get different results.
  26. shorter

Almost every release I find that someone calls to say Vectorworks is broken, and it transpires they have just updated their OS after a long history of OS updates dating back to 10.11 or something. Now, in theory, yes, OS updates 'ought' to work, but the reality is never so straightforward. When asking few more questions we find the Mac in question is old, had multiple users, where all historic accounts are still present, and the Mac has never once since it has been used been reformatted or even had simply house-keying done, like zapping PRAM or resetting SMC, etc, and this stuff is dead easy and requires no IT knowledge whatsoever. So, when someone says, Vectorworks is broken, the first thing to do is uninstall it, and then reinstall it. If you don't even do that you have no right to moan about Vectorworks.
  27. michaelk

This is what I'm finding too.
  28. Frank Schnater

Hello David, Thank you for your reply. Strange. Attached 2 snippets of a drawing: one with a viewport (top-plan view) and the other with a section-viewport ('Display planar Objects', 'Display 2D Components' and 'Display 2D' Fills all 'on'). The '2591' dimension-lines are in Plane 'layer'. The missing arrowheads are an 'known bug' they told me. The doors are missing their swing because the section-viewport only displays the 3d porion of hybrid symbols (so I could solve this by adding a swing in the 3d portion of all symbols, but I'd rather have the option to display either the 2d or 3d portion, and I certainly don't like it that Nemetschek decides to change this behaviour from one version to the other. This is not a fatal problem though.). The difference in dimension appearance and dashed line appaearance: I don't know! The third screenshot is the same drawing with both viewports exported back to VW2018. Regards, Frank
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.