jeff prince

Free Example Tutorial - Mastering Extrude Along a Path to create complex assemblies

thank you, I will look at you file. I usually fool around with the profile and can get it to the right position but my god what a pain. Certainly interested in looking how you deal with that . thanks for sharing

CF

@Christian Fekete I used to follow the logic of moving the profile to correspond to the path and orientating it in 3D accordingly.  It was a PIA.  You will see in that example file that it is not necessary in order to produce the desired results, which actually makes it faster and less painful 🙂  The secret is understanding what VWX is doing behind the scenes to place your profile on the path, which you can change after the fact.

@Christian Fekete another approach is to convert the path to a NURBs then set a Working Plane on it. A Working Plane will always be perpendicular to a NURBS Curve wherever you place it. Then you can place the profile on the path in the drawing + get it right first time + not need to reposition it in the profile edit mode. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

1183107325_Screenshot2021-04-08at07_07_25.thumb.png.a228209f257a92b3d870bae51008a7e0.png

• Like 3

@Tom W.   Set working planes, convert to nurbs, orientating 2D profiles in 3D...

yeah, that’s quick and easy for people just trying to orientate a turndown to a slab 🙂