Haydenovative

Raked Hanging Position Truss

2 hours ago, pmorrill said:

I am struggling with the raking of the individual trusses in 3D for Client  and keeping a good 2D plot for Shop.

This is also my struggle in trying to have this workflow function. People keep telling to just use the straight truss tool instead since it's easier to use. 

Each truss will need to be on an individual and specific design layer. Create a viewport of each layer and place that on your standard design layer. When you are done you should have five specific truss layers and five viewports on your standard drawing layer. Now go to to your standard drawing layer, select each view port, one at a time, rotate, and position regarding X, Y and Z values. That will create your model. 

For your plan view, there are two ways to do this:

1- layout all your truss objects in their respective design layers exactly as they would be installed on site. If you do that, you just need to add these specific layers to your sheet layer viewport. Simple as that. Quick tip if you are using this method;  draw everything (or at least your trusses) on your standard layer exactly as installed first. Once completed, simply select each truss and move to it’s respective viewport via the object info palette. Easy. 

2- draw the various trusses however you want on their design layers. Create a second plan view viewport of the structure and put that in your output sheet layer and then slide them about for your printing purposss. 

The first way is often the best, however, it is not unusual that you would have to do individual VP into your print outputs regardless because one production piece being above another, that sort of thing. 

Hope that helps. 

One other note: When you create your viewport, go find it on your standard design layer (whatever layer that might be), select it and in the object info palette, select CLASSES.  At the bottom of the window there is a little check box with a tag that reads "use current document's class visibilities".  You will ABSOLUTELY want to check that as it then allows your viewports to behave like every other piece of your drawing.  Turn off the truss class and the VP truss turns off.  Turn on the lights class and the VP lights will appear (or maybe the won't, but that is a "REFRESH INSTRUMENTS" issue that can happen to anything....I digress).  When I first started using DLVPs I never noticed that one little check box and I was frustrated ALL the time.  Once I figured that out, all was right with the world.  

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 4.54.00 PM.png

@scottmoore  Do you draw your plan view in position on the drawing?   IE:  If you had a vertical truss tower,  would you draw it laying down in position,  with the pivot point where, ever it would stand up?   VS  drawing the plan view in some arbitrary location in the document?

I find it doesn’t really matter. Here is what I try to do:

If it is a position that is going to be represented in place in a 2D drawing, I’ll try to draw it in place to avoid additional viewports on a sheet layer. This would be something like a pod or a raked truss. 

If it is a vertical truss or torm/boom kind of thing, then the 2D representation is going to be somewhere else on the drawing anyway so I may just draw that on centerline and viewport it into a sheet layer for printing after the fact. 

Has anyone run into 2019 losing the rotation of these DLVPs after closing and re-opening the drawing?  (saving before closing of course)   Happens every time and is about to send me on a homicidal rampage.   If I load from a recent backup file in VW Backup, it regenerates correctly.   But again,  opens wrong even when re-saving the backup over the master drawing.   See below.   These were vertical towers before closing.

image.thumb.png.5168170926c37e847d386e4e70872da8.png

@Wesley Burrows  

Damn, that sounds frustrating! I haven't fully moved over to VW2019 yet, but I just tried adding a few truss and fixtures to a blank file, made a DLVP & rotated, saved & reopened it, and didn't see any problems.

I'd file a report with VW and send them your file. They may find a bug that can be fixed.

Occasionally when I come across some weirdness like that, I try and copy over the offending parts of the model into a new file and see if my issue still occurs. If it doesn't, I copy the contents of each design layer one by one into a new file. You won't be able to copy sheet layers or viewports between files, so those will need to be recreated. But it least it may be a workaround to your current problem.

Edited by LJ TMS
  • Like 1

Update:   After multiple profanity laden tirades that probably changed my 3 year old daughters life forever.   Smashing some inanimate objects,  and pacing around like a psychopath, I discovered if I save in a 3D view (num pad 5 in this case)  and re-open it holds the correct rotations.   If I save in Top/Plan,   it all goes to hell.   what. the. actual. F.

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Wesley Burrows said:

Update:   After multiple profanity laden tirades that probably changed my 3 year old daughters life forever.   Smashing some inanimate objects,  and pacing around like a psychopath, I discovered if I save in a 3D view (num pad 5 in this case)  and re-open it holds the correct rotations.   If I save in Top/Plan,   it all goes to hell.   what. the. actual. F.

Lol, wow I hate stuff like that! Well at least you found an easy enough workaround.

I just checked my test file and I'm not seeing that issue regardless what view I save in. I'd definitely forward that to VW so they can take a look.

1 minute ago, LJ TMS said:

Lol, wow I hate stuff like that! Well at least you found an easy enough workaround.

I just checked my test file and I'm not seeing that issue regardless what view I save in. I'd definitely forward that to VW so they can take a look.

That's for checkin!   I'll definitely get with VW Support.   This crap always shows up when I'm staring face first at a deadline for submitting something.   Never fails.     Say Hi to Mark C. Audra, Mario and others!   (I worked at TMS years ago in a previous life)

3 hours ago, Wesley Burrows said:

That's for checkin!   I'll definitely get with VW Support.   This crap always shows up when I'm staring face first at a deadline for submitting something.   Never fails.     Say Hi to Mark C. Audra, Mario and others!   (I worked at TMS years ago in a previous life)

Hey that's awesome, I'll definitely let them know you said hi! How long ago did you work at TMS? I've been here going on 12 years, although I'm always working away in my cave so rarely get to talk to majority of the people that work here, lol.

Edit: Mario told me to let you know he misses you.

Edited by LJ TMS
  • Like 1

Wesley,

i am still on 2018 so haven’t seen any of what you are seeing. 

Love me some TMS. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LJ TMS said:

Hey that's awesome, I'll definitely let them know you said hi! How long ago did you work at TMS? I've been here going on 12 years, although I'm always working away in my cave so rarely get to talk to majority of the people that work here, lol.

Edit: Mario told me to let you know he misses you.

Good people there for sure.   I was there 2003/2004.    Mario was one of my favorite dudes!     Learned a lot from Him,  Finley,  Heath,  Ray Ray,  Laird,  Scottie.   Everyone really.

Also FWIW tech support contacted me back acknowledging that it's not working as intended and submitted to engineering for a fix.    It's related to truss objects (insert truss tool).   When I've used DLVP's previously in 2019, but so far I was displaying scaffolding and light ladder positions and didn't run into this problem.  I don't know that it's problem with the PIO truss tool.

-W

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Like 1