VinceK

Tentage

Is there any tent symbols we could use? Like Roder tent etc.

I have trouble drawing the triangular in 3D. How do I draw the 2, Z axis for the triangular?

Any help here will be very much appreciated. : )

Vectorworks libraries>Objects - Ent Event> event tents.vwx.  There is an array of typical tents in there or you can look at how they were created to make one that fits your needs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rob Books said:

Vectorworks libraries>Objects - Ent Event> event tents.vwx.  There is an array of typical tents in there or you can look at how they were created to make one that fits your needs.

That said, it would be great to have specific manufacturers and rental houses inventory available with associated data records.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VinceK said:

@Rob Books - Hi Rob, I do not have the full package manager. I can see the tents folder but nothing in them.

that is strange everyone should have access to that file, it was released in Service Select, so has no fingerprinting or other restrictions to it.

Event Tents.vwx

that is the 2018 version file.

• Like 1

@Rob Books - I'm so new to the extend I don't know where to find them. : ) I'm self-taught and depends on forum and you-tube to convert myself from CAD to Vectorworks.

@EAlexander - Hi Alexander, yes I'm referring to sloped gables. The default tent they have in vw are fixed, I can't change the dimensions or sort. Was thinking of drawing them from scratch.

Very much appreciated if you could share the way to construct here with me.

Here's some simple examples of how I would create the tent geometry, specifically the roof.

2122550250_ScreenShot2018-06-23at7_48_44AM.thumb.png.118de8b79f5528fafd750a9d1120c814.png

Ironically the method I thought would be simplest, a multiple extrude, was a fail as it creates unusable geometry. Its a command I tend to avoid but it should have been successful here using both a line and a loci point.

Kevin

Tent Approaches.vwx

• Like 1

@Kevin McAllister - that's helpful. Thank you! I need to draw the braces for both vertical and roof brace. Have to be more detailing in them. I'll use the method you share here, and see how i can add in braces instead of lines.

(unless I've speed read this and missed - sorry if I have) the quickest solution is to draw a rectangle (size you require @VinceK) and use AEC > Create Roof

I believe you have this (your signature says Spotlight) under the Architectural menu

Keep the thickness appropriate - Ive use 10mm only

1195206959_ScreenShot2018-06-24at10_01_27.thumb.png.16d45b371912f2e3aef3146951c10879.png

A reasonable 'tent' roof is provided straight away. I assume you will have already drawn the walls/openings/window panels etc.

1319177830_ScreenShot2018-06-24at10_30_08.thumb.png.fa8ae50a1309b9dadad39432fc589712.png

(Just an observation guys - no criticism😍) I have to say most tents described so far don't do it for me. I generally would want a more convincing drape to the appearance of the canvas to 'hit the money'.

For that level of modelling there are two really good in-depth vids on the VW site that take you through this.

Go to http://www.vectorworks.net/training/2017/getting-started-guides/freeform-modeling/subdivsion-tool-primitive-types-and-tent-roofs and you will see there's a 'part 2' to this.

Having said that - I appreciate many of the modern system built structures are more 'shed' like and flat surfaces probably are suitable.

More of a Boy Scout myself🤠

Hope this helps

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, VinceK said:

I need to draw the braces for both vertical and roof brace. Have to be more detailing in them. I'll use the method you share here, and see how i can add in braces instead of lines.

Is this for internal visuals?

I think if you were to show us a photo..

On 6/22/2018 at 3:51 PM, EAlexander said:

Can you show an example photo of what you are trying to build?

..we'd be able to offer more help on the detail you require.

The braces are likely simple extrudes. More complex if you really need the hardware and not just the 'look.'

The tent shapes are also really easily done as Sub-Division models.

Lots of good thoughts here. My examples were based on the simple tents in the VW library file. Certainly the methods can be used to make more complex examples. I like using NURBS method as it easily adapts to different shapes, maintains accuracy if needed and keeps the geometry light.

KM

763734322_ScreenShot2018-06-24at9_22_36AM.thumb.png.e47c062eb7492eec151ca499c2cf1235.png

1554405158_ScreenShot2018-06-24at9_02_01AM.thumb.png.c7898f691a94f7f75e5fedd275dee20d.png

1527081148_ScreenShot2018-06-24at9_13_13AM.thumb.png.15903b411bffd20a987bb7a69574903d.png

• Like 3