Kevin McAllister

Stop Cropping Edges

Question

I wish that VW would stop cropping the edges of objects off in Sheet Layer Viewports. It happens in both OpenGL with Edges On and Custom Renderworks with Draw Edges. Its like there's a crop even though there isn't.

The workaround is to add user crops to all Sheet Layer Viewports which is a waste of time and energy. These unnecessary user crops also cause extra cleanup when objects get larger during revisions.

Fix this issue.

Kevin

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

[My reply was not directly related to Kevin's issue, so I removed my post and started a new topic]:

Edited by rDesign
removed off-topic post

Do you have both a camera assigned to the viewport and a crop? I was having this problem (which is different from the problem in my original post) and brought it to @JimW's attention the other day. In my case it seemed like the camera crop and my crop were battling for control. My workaround was to delete the camera....

Kevin

• Like 2

Kevin - I'm sorry that I misunderstood and hijacked your original post: I thought your issue sounded related to my cropped SLVP issue.

That SLVP is linked to a Camera view, I don't know if you can delete the Camera without deleting the SLVP since it doesn't appear on a DL. I added a crop to the SLVP after changing its scale. 

I'd bet that your diagnosis is correct and the camera and SLVP crops are fighting it out - but if the recommended fix is to delete the Camera and VP and start over, I would live with the cropped Hidden Line.

Thanks for your help Kevin.

51 minutes ago, rDesign said:

I'm sorry that I misunderstood and hijacked your original post: I thought your issue sounded related to my cropped SLVP issue.

No worries. Any discussion to get things fixed is always good discussion :)

52 minutes ago, rDesign said:

That SLVP is linked to a Camera view, I don't know if you can delete the Camera without deleting the SLVP since it doesn't appear on a DL. I added a crop to the SLVP after changing its scale. 

I'd bet that your diagnosis is correct and the camera and SLVP crops are fighting it out - but if the recommended fix is to delete the Camera and VP and start over, I would live with the cropped Hidden Line.

When you delete the camera the viewport just switches to a regular perspective viewport or at least it did when I tried it (I saved first so I could undo if necessary). You probably could cut and paste the camera back into the design layers if you wanted to keep it. The remaining viewport rendered just fine after deleting the camera.

Here's an image detailing the bug I was lamenting in the original post. The SLVP's are rendered with OpenGL with edges on. It also occurs in Custom Renderworks with Edges on.

Kevin

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 9.25.22 AM.png

Am I understanding correctly that this happens when you create a viewport without a crop, i.e. it automatically uses the extents of the visible objects to create a sheet layer viewport and set the outline of the viewport to none? In that case it is a bit similar to what I have experienced in AutoCAD too at times as the viewport outline happens to exactly overlap with one or more of the objects and it truncates part or all of the object's outline.

It should be quite simple to fix in VW by having such automatic viewports to add a and extra space of twice the largest line thickness around the objects when creating this automatic viewport. That way there shouldn't be an overlap anymore.

• Like 1

@Art VYes, that's exactly what's happening. The internal "crop" or the tolerance for the extents of the visible objects is too tight and obscuring part of the object's outline. It has been submitted as a bug and has been happening since VW2015.

Kevin

"Fortunately" I don't have this problem that often as 99% of the time I use crops when creating viewports to make sure the viewport will match the output paper size or the drawing border but this is an annoying bug that should be fixed.

Could you tell me if this is still happening to uncropped viewports in 2017 in that same file for you? A few tests here and that seems to have stopped happening but I wanted to confirm.