Editing in Symbols - Clearly marked and snap-able symbol origin

Kevin McAllister

Question

I would like a clearly marked and snap-able origin within a symbol. The current behaviour is very inconsistent. We have -

- a snap-able locus with red and green axis markers when editing the 2d component in Top/Plan View

- a snap-able but invisible locus when in Top View view of the 3d component

- a snap-able locus with red and green axis markers when editing the 3d component in Top/Plan View

- nothing snap-able or visible when in any 3D or true elevation view (front/side/back). The axes do appear if you choose a 3d tool but then promptly disappear when the Selection Tool is used.

This origin should visibly be the same and snap-able in all components (2d, 3d, Wall Hole) and all views (Top/Plan and all 3d views). (Also, I'd like to know why the view jumps sideways when switching between editing the 2d component and 3d component of a symbol. I thought this was going to be resolved long ago.)

Most often I find I need to snap within a symbol if I want to make sure an object is on the ground plan. The current workflow is to draw a horizontal 2d line (which is there but is not visible for some esoteric reason) and change its Y coordinate to 0. This 2d line is then snap-able. I suppose I could add a 3d locus to every symbol but that's just a lot of extra clutter.

Kevin

• Like 1

6 answers to this question