Slab disappears, crash when trying to edit. Bug?

ida

I have had some slabs tagged as IFC Covering that have a strange behaviour.

At first I had some problems with some of the slabs (not all of them) that they show a z height of -135000 and are actually in 0.

When i tried to edit them they disappeared, but they where still in the file when i marked all, they just did not show.

I had to replace all the slabs that were broken, and it has worked fine.

I also tried to change the z height back to 0 but then i got «The geometry of the slab you are editing can not be computed. HIt Yes to delete the slab or No to continue editing.»

But then I got the problem with one of the slabs again, this time when i tried to edit it (change the size) the program crashed.

Tried again and the same result.

Any one with the same problem?

Attached a slab that works fine with normal z height and the slab with a strange z height that made the program crash.

The slabs are slab styles, but it seems random witch one are broken and not.

This has also been sent to our local Vectorworks guy.

Ida

Edited by ida

My experience with IFC imports is,

if your Vectorworks Setting for 3D Resolution is set to a lower value,

some IFC Objects will fail to import and/or getting dislocated.

(Same seems to happen for DWG ?)

If I set it to a higher value I was more successful with IFC imports.

Second is, that I will not have much fun as long as IFC elements are not

ungrouped to normal VW geometry elements.

Seems that there wont work any RW FBX export as long as only one IFC

element is left in the file. You will just get a an empty FBX file wit 0 kb.

Also for me, those IFC containers, often including further grouping, will slow

VW, OpenGL and Exports to other software down and increase VW instability

noticeably.

Edited by zoomer
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Now this is happening again to new ceilings, with no apparent reason. It has nothing to do with the slab style. It gets a different z height in the OIP and disappears when I try to edit.

Will this be fixed in SP3?

This gives us a lot of extra work....

Ida

Working on it.

Have sandt parts of the file before witout getting a explanation, but have just sendt the entire file. (All this is to our local Vectorworks guy) Guess he has submited it as a bug.

I can also send you or somebody else at VW the file if you want to have a go.

It is also originallly a VW 2015 file.

Ida

• 2 years later...

Hi Ida

Having very similar problems working in Vectorworks 2019. I see that your post is from 2016. Did you ever find a solution?

This is happening only to this one specific file, and to slab objects only. All slab objects in this file have the same issue. 

When I select reshape tool, the polygon handles are not visible. If I try to move the slab object, it disappears. If I try to create a copy of it, both objects (original and copied) disappear. If I try to edit the slab in any other way - boundary, modifiers, etc. - nothing is shown and when exiting the edit mode I get that same message: "The geometry for the slab you are editing can not be computed. Hit Yes to delete the slab or No to continue editing."

Those slabs are native VW objects; with class "None" and "Z Ref: Top of Structure" referent to my stories. If I remember correctly probably all of those slabs were created from shapes using the AEC tool.

After some reading in the VW forum I figured the best approach would be to delete and redraw all my slabs. The new slab objects have normal edit behaviour. But this is a complex project for a tennis club with multiple levels, so you can imagine how annoyed I am with this solution...

Edited by Fernanda Diaz

Hey guys,

I seem to have the same problem here. All of a sudden a slab object has disappeared and when I try to copy from backup file, the slab in backup file disappears, too. Notice another slab sitting on another class than None; and it disappears when I move that slab to the 'None' class...

Edited by hajom
  • 4 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 1:15 AM, Fernanda Diaz said:

Hi Ida

Having very similar problems working in Vectorworks 2019. I see that your post is from 2016. Did you ever find a solution?

This is happening only to this one specific file, and to slab objects only. All slab objects in this file have the same issue. 

When I select reshape tool, the polygon handles are not visible. If I try to move the slab object, it disappears. If I try to create a copy of it, both objects (original and copied) disappear. If I try to edit the slab in any other way - boundary, modifiers, etc. - nothing is shown and when exiting the edit mode I get that same message: "The geometry for the slab you are editing can not be computed. Hit Yes to delete the slab or No to continue editing."

Those slabs are native VW objects; with class "None" and "Z Ref: Top of Structure" referent to my stories. If I remember correctly probably all of those slabs were created from shapes using the AEC tool.

I am currently having exact same problem in VW2018. Just one slab at the moment.

• 5 months later...

Hello! Any news on this topic? I have the same issue but it happens to all of the slabs in my file. I have to keep redrawing the poly line of the slab and then copy it to the boundary in order to make the reshape handles work. I am still not sure what is causing it but having to redraw every slab multiple times is quite inefficient! It will be great if we can get an update on that soon.

• 1 year later...

Thanks, it does sound like it's been an issue from the past.

I've never had the problem till now.  Started with a sloped slab for a roof.  These roofs also have modifiers and several components and edge extensions so its kind of a complicate object.  But it has also happen when i had a simple 4" concrete flat slab.  so Im not sure I can blame it on complicated roof slab.

sloped roof slab with modifiers to get the odd shape works but i have to rebuild it every few days or never touch it

Im not sure how else to draw a shed roof with an odd footprint and have some components overhang and some stop at the wall

I can be the only that as ever had this condition

image.thumb.png.86988a4a1d08bf2ef6c9d32dd358350e.png

@Matt Hall i'm having the same problem!

i also cannot reshape the slab

if i double click and choose 'edit boundary', there is no shape/polygon corresponding to the slab and i get the error message "the geometry for the slab you are editing cannot be computed"

prevously my slabs were linked to walls but every time i reopened the file it lost its associations and the offets became really odd dimensions, like the concrete slab  sticking out half a meter past the walls.

103 the ridge.vwx

• Like 1

I generally find that once a slab starts refusing to be edited, it is likely to do a disappearing act some time soon.

My solution

- only use slabs when there's a major benefit over other more reliable objects

- if one starts being troublesome or disappears... go back through backups, find a version where it still seems to be ok, copy and paste that back into the file.

Alongside the automatic backups, I tend to make a separate "safe save" of any important VW projects I'm working on every day or two... these are often useful to go in and retrieve non-corrupted earlier versions of objects.

Not ideal. But maybe they'll get around to fixing it within our lifetimes - we'll see.

• Like 1