Layer and Class Mapping

This command allows you to restructure a drawing, by "automatically" changing the names and number of layers and classes in the drawing.

What are you hoping it will do? Much easier question to answer than a full blown explanation that might not actually solve your problem.

General intent of the command is to be able to merge multiple classes into a lesser number of classes. For instance, an imported DWG with hundreds of classes (0, 1, E2, etc) could be "mapped" down to a much easier to handle number, possibly with a prefix showing where they are coming from.

Since once you have the mapping set up you can "save" that mapping, the next time you need to import from that source the classes/layers can be reduced much more easily.

Thanks Pat, I guess I am wanting to fully understand the command and what it does then think about the opportunities for using it.

I only discovered it today (so much to learn) so as with my philosophy of learning the program to its fullest so that I can be in a position to use it when necessary or the opportunity arises, I was after any any possible tutorials.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Anyone have any videos or information regarding how to use the "Tools/Layer and Class Mapping" process in Vectorworks other than in the VW help section?

OMG I've been dreaming of a tool like this, but I don't seem to have it.

I looked it up in VW 2015 Help and read all about it. I'm drooling waiting to use this as I have many files with convoluted ACAD classes, but I don't have this tool. See attached screen grab. I tried changing workspaces. I tried editing my workspace to see if the tool is in a menu but I don't see it anywhere.

I have Fundamentals, Spotlight, and Renderworks.

Where is this tool?

I believe you need to have either Designer, Architect or Landmark for the Tools -> Class and Layer Mapping... function.

EDIT: See attached Commands_Tools2015 PDF taken from the Help File. It shows that the Class and Layer Mapping tool is only in Designer, Architect or Landmark.

EDIT: Removed my reference to LayerMap worksheet function as that is not what is being discussed.

Edited by rDesign