v14/v15 upgrade

Morning

I am working presently working in V14 stupidly I did not reniew my vss which meant I would have got a free upgrade. However reading a few of the forum comments and the work I undertake I am still undecided if I should upgrade... I do have to produce plans for construction but my line of work is events and exhibitions so 3 d modelling is 80% of my workflow.....I do use renderworks sometimes but still find it time consuming applying textures and decals as against my current render program....i see that there are a few more 3d tools being added every release so that's great..... But I just need tipping over the edge to make the upgrade step.....would it be to late to renew my vss I think it expired March 14 so I can get the update FOC....or do I have to make the pay the upgrade purchase price.... Still kicking myself at letting the vss expire but still that's in the past

What major benefits from all you V15 guys do you think will benefit my kind of work

Thanks

Phil, you should hang in there because the future does look promising.

As I understand it the 64 bit conversion was a huge task that used a lot of the programming resources available. With that out of the way the pace of development will pick up because those programming resources will get reallocated. That means the improvements will start flowing.

Sean Flaherty, Biplab Sarker and Stuart Rom came to Sydney earlier this year and what they said makes me very optimistic about the future outlook.

RENDERING

The rendering is much quicker in all modes. With a decent computer and graphics card you can now work in OpenGL, and perspective view if you want that.

BETTER FREEFORM MODELLING

The new deform capabilities are fun and have made freeform modelling much easier. I find freeform modelling easier in Vectorworks than it is in Sketchup.

SKETCHUP IMPORT WITH TEXTURES

This works very well and means there is now plenty of content available.

IMPROVED LIBRARY CONTENT

The quality of the content available to VSS subscribers is very good and it is getting added to.

STABILITY

The program is very stable in most instances. The only problems I have had is with files that contains imported DWG information that was exported from a six year old version Archicad.

...my line of work is events and exhibitions...

In addition to the other more general things cited, there are several entertainment/event things in 2015 you might appreciate:

- Improvements to several Plug-In Objects, including all of the video tools, the audio tools, and Soft Goods.

- New staging PIOs.

- A new Stage Lift PIO.

- Label Legend, Lighting Position, and Lighting Device improvements.

Any of those peak your interest?

well took the plunge yesterday and upgraded to 15

love the 3d views in open GL makes the visualisation process a lot clearer.....the movement around the interface seems so much smoother, and the new distort tool will make life a lot easier.....still a lot to go through but looking good so far

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

2015 has been the most solid SP0 release I have been involved in.

There are a few issues that users are having, namely exporting back to previous versions and file names with / or \ in the names, but these should be corrected shortly.

All of the more serious types of issues, crashing, failing to launch have so far been hardware specific and were usually corrected by upgrading to proper graphics hardware or updating graphics card drivers.