Multi-core Threading

Kevin McAllister

Question

I just watched a video talking about current rendering developments (Siggraph is next week) and a company was talking about testing their renderer on in-development 64 core machines. Amazing to think that VW's internal renderer (not the C4D engine) still only recognizes and uses 1 core.

If this deficiency is ever addressed, please program in a way that provides some future-proofing for these on the horizon technologies. Always playing catchup is not a good plan.

Kevin

12 answers to this question

Unfortunately Kevin VW is not the only one that suffers the "CatchUp" syndrome.

A well known player, very good at coming up with interesting concepts, often, subsequently rests on it's laurels for far too long, when it does produce a replacement, it impresses with unusual variations for 5 minutes without providing the requirements needed. Which is often superseded by every competitor in a jif.

i think you know to whom i refer . . . .

:)

Nag should spend a year, just making everything work, perfectly, adding nothing new and resolving "Ancient Issues" (i think going back 10 years should be enough to clear up everything . . . .)

Nag should spend a year, just making everything work, perfectly, adding nothing new and resolving "Ancient Issues" (i think going back 10 years should be enough to clear up everything . . . .)

I don't see how this can work. They're too far behind as it is. They need to pour resources into both.

Am I mistaken? I seems to me that hidden line rendering is slower now than ever it was.

It's really difficult to gauge unless you can test it on previous versions.

It's what we spend our time waiting for a lot.

I've had a weird situation though where on some machines, say, a sheet of window elevations will all update almost instantly on one machine, but take minutes on another more powerful machine.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Am I mistaken? I seems to me that hidden line rendering is slower now than ever it was.

It seems so to me as well, either as of SP2 or just 2014 in general, though I don't recall 2014 being anything but faster than 2013 during my SP0 rendering speed trials. I'm tracking this issue right now actually as part of another case, I will report my findings here.

Update:

It looks like the issue with Hidden Line being particularly slow in some (many) instances in the current version has been identified will be resolved shortly.

Edited by JimW

Having difficulties rendering viewports on a 10,000 sq.ft. house. Have several extrude along path items, created concrete baluster symbol, and outrigger symbol that is bogging down the system. I was told that there are limitations to a 32bit program. Don't know what that means exactly, but it needs rectified. Can't IMAGINE using this software on a skyscraper like I see in some of the adverts!! Were those done in Windows version? If so...that's sad!