Who want's to make a Vectorworks workflow BIBLE for architects?

Patrick Fritsch

Question

Like the title of this thread suggests - Who want's to make a Vectorworks workflow BIBLE for architects? Their are so many of you on this forum that seem to have the bits and pieces of detailed VW knowledge. It seems to me we need to put it all together, but properly...And maybe even make some extra cash flow.

Seems like theirs a market for a complete Project based workflows manuals with suggested best-practice methods of setting up an office's standards (classes, layers & stories), workgroup file referencing, workgroup library referencing, construction detailing re-use methods, etc. Basically one commercial and one residential project based training bibles...but one that covers everything that is required to get good construction documents that the REAL construction world requires...without having to try and piece together multiple short videos/forum post etc to be able to get it done efficiently.

Anybody!

8 answers to this question

Yeah sure....however have you read Jonathan's (Pickup) manuals? (I haven't so I don't know but I've read quite some positive reactions about them) no use in doing work twice, and this way Jonathan gets some pay back for the time he spends doing exactly this.

Perhaps a 2 way solution could be actual, if we provide a good enough tip/idea/workflow that Jonathan can include in future releases we get a bottle of wine or one of his manuals for free etc :grin: what do you say Jonathan?

Alternatively a Workflow section in Christiaans N&M page:

http://www.needleandmortar.com

Edited by Vincent C
Perhaps a 2 way solution could be actual, if we provide a good enough tip/idea/workflow that Jonathan can include in future releases we get a bottle of wine or one of his manuals for free etc :grin: what do you say Jonathan?
I always send free manuals to the people that help me with my manuals. The reality is that writing a manual is a major task, taking many hundreds of hours.

I think from the discussion, there would have to be several parts to the manual, setting up your library, referencing, renovation projects, split level buildings, creating graphics (hatches, tiles, line types),setting up drawings, layers and classes, and so on.

I think I already have a lot this information in my architect manual and almost all of it on my web site, in the subscriber area, but some people complain about me when I keep telling you about my subscription service. The reality is that I have a huge supply of manuals and movies available on my web site, but most Vectorworks users are unaware of it. There are over 1300 movies on my web site, and each month more are added. The users that attend the online sessions get to choose the topics we cover, and I record the sessions so that everyone can watch the sessions later.m

Depending on how good/bad v2014 is I may be interesting in investing time on a wiki-based workflow bible.

I'd be a little cautious of undercutting Jonathan and the like though. I wouldn't want to undermine the income manual writers make and then have no professional manual writers.

Perhaps we could licence it in such a fashion that Jonathan could contribute and use the material for his own purposes?

I like the Wiki idea because it's user based and therefore we would end up with more than one way to "skin a cat". Most other software packages have multiple sources to learn and stay current in the form of books, movies and online school like Linda.com. The benefit of these multiple sources is that you can choose specific instructors or instructions that work better for you.