Selecting objects in 3D needs improvement

Christiaan

Question

8 answers to this question

Why not a sort of CAD "Depth of Field" toggle option, so that when you need to pick a certain item, the objects nearest your current point of view(centre screen) are more solid/darker and thus more likely to fall under the "Selection Lottery Factor".

Cancel the toggle to return to standard view.

Yes i appreciate the code genies will have to work hard to get it to function, but . . . . .

Edited by AndiACD

Agreed it's a mess. A couple of workarounds I use are: Change views until the object you want to select is separate from other objects. Go back to your original view and do a "Modify/Send/Send to Front" command, then it can be selected again easily when you accidentally deselect it!!! Alternatively, and what I do more often, I heavily class my objects so I can see only a few at a time. More up front work, but much less frustration when trying to select an object amongst a bunch of other objects. Being able to navigate back and forth between next and previous views is helpful here. I've assigned those commands to buttons on my mouse.

I wonder if this is somehow related to how it is in Top/Plan view where the order in which the objects were created dictates how easily(hard) they are selected!? In Top/Plan view the last created object is selected first when several are superimposed, can it be the same in the other views? I haven't tested this yet though.

Vincent,

I do believe that any newly created object in a layer is automatically "on top" of everything else in that layer, regardless of the view.

Agreed it's a mess. A couple of workarounds I use are: Change views until the object you want to select is separate from other objects. Go back to your original view and do a "Modify/Send/Send to Front" command, then it can be selected again easily when you accidentally deselect it!!! Alternatively, and what I do more often, I heavily class my objects so I can see only a few at a time. More up front work, but much less frustration when trying to select an object amongst a bunch of other objects. Being able to navigate back and forth between next and previous views is helpful here. I've assigned those commands to buttons on my mouse.

Another workaround is grouping, even temporarely.