Vectorworks hanging when editing text

If i zoom in or out when i'm editing text the program hangs, it usually comes back but can take 2-3 minutes. I use apple's magic mouse, so sometimes 'wipe' it by accident causing the view to zoom dramatically which then causes the program to grind to a halt. I can do the same thing when not editing text and it doesn't hang.

Anybody experienced anything similar or got any suggestions as to how to resolve the issue. I like the 'mouse wheel zoom' function so i don't want to turn that off.

I've had similar problems though only rarely and only with files created in an earlier version, i.e., VW2011 and 2010. No problems so far when using VW 2012 to edit 2012 files.

My usual solution is to throw up my hands, count to ten and delete the offending text then re-enter it manually. OK if it's not a large block.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
We had this problem with v2012. I've just tested it again and can't replicate it so it may have been fixed in one of the service packs. Make sure you're up to date with the latest service pack (currently SP3):

http://www.vectorworks.net/downloads/

Nope, still there. Just ran into again today.

Yes, i'm still having this problem, twice this morning and it's only 10:15. Complete crash both times this time.

• 1 month later...

I have had this same problem again over and over in the last couple of days. I've also noticed that it happens, when typing, then as you move the cursor (to the tool palette) - not even touching the mouse top surface. There seems to be a lag in RAM when typing. Can't they incorporate a font preload feature or something? so it's all there ready to use on start up and not grabbing at memory on the fly.

Does anyone from Nemetschek read these forums and do anything about the issues raised? Would be nice to have some suggestions from the 'experts' rather than the likes of us faffing about wasting time.

I noticed the same thing in my 2008 Mac pro after installing SP3, my first thought was a corrupted font issue, I am traveling a lot right now so I didn't have time to try to fix it myself but maybe you could try and let us all know, try and open your font book and verify all fonts, it can take a while. I have done this before for other similar issues and it seemed to work. Strangely I haven't had the issue on my laptop (2011 macbook pro) since updating to SP3 on that machine.