Roof too complex to compute

cwailes

The roof tool is an anaemic plugin that often fails trying to model even simple roof forms, it's not surprising that it's failing on that polygon. It's still useful however, try separating the base poly into 2 or 3 simpler forms the roof tool can handle then convert them to roof faces for editing into the roof you want. The aspects causing it to fail or crash VW are not always what you'd expect, long wings off of a main body (like the one on the rear right of your polygon) are often problematic.

I'm not sure how you want the curved section to connect, either as a separate flat roof or with a valley against the next section, but it's also likely a problem as it is.

Is this what you are after?

See images

I did this in the other CAD software Iuse.

Imported your .png file.

Traced over with wall tool

Used roof tool > Auto roof

Took me longer to trace image for walls than to create roof.

Like I said earlier, this is not that complex of a roof.

taoist

Edited by taoist

Could this be done using roof plane tool?

As I do not have version 2011, is there a roof tool that allows you to "trace" a roof area to apply the roof to?

Can you add a roof to an existing roof.

Even with the other software I use, sometimes you can't use the auto roof tool, and need to sort of manually create the roof sections depending on roof.

taoist

BCD,

Ok, I downloaded the file you uploaded and just for giggles tried to run the create roof tool on the edited poly you created and it does not work on my machine. I even set everything as you had on the roof object that is in the file and still no luck. Must be a bug. I am going to send the file in and see if they can reproduce the error in VW2011.