Curved ramp

Guest Demfis Fyssicopulos

Set a locus representing the center of the sweep to the left of your profile poly. Select them both and sweep.

Or, in stead of a sweep: In plan view, place 3 or 4 NURBS lines at proper z and rotation around an axis, arranged/placed kind of like control joints would be in a curved concrete ramp. Loft them, simple mode.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

I think the Coolest solution for that is the Curved Wall.

Good to see, that at least NVW Employees know how to use the Software. :-) (and sometimes tell us!)

Thanks Frank.

While Playing with that Solution (tried to get a Solid) I dicovered, that one can convert a Wall and also a Sweep directly to to Nurbs Surfaces with the 3d POWERPACK.

Cool!

Has this always been the Case?

I've also tried to Convert to Group: Useless result! (a bazillion of Polygons!)

The cutting plane method is not really accurate enough for this as it doesn't produce a helical ramp and fails completely for ramps >90?.

The Sweep tool is very powerful:

In Front View draw a 2d-polygon describing a typical cross-section, or a line representing the surface of of the ramp.

Place a 2d locus at the center of rotation relative to this cross-section.

Select both

Model>Sweep

Set Arc angle to 90? for a 90? ramp.

Set Pitch to 16'

Using the Round Wall tool to solve this is a super idea. It's very fast & easily edited via the OIP.

I think the Coolest solution for that is the Curved Wall.

can convert a Wall and also a Sweep directly to to Nurbs Surfaces with the 3d POWERPACK.

I've also tried to Convert to Group: Useless result! (a bazillion of Polygons!)

You can also Extract the surfaces / lines of the wall. Great for additional modeling & creating Extrude along Path objects.

The cutting plane method is not really accurate enough for this as it doesn't produce a helical ramp and fails completely for ramps >90?.

Where does the inaccuracy come from.

I produced the cutting Plane exactly how you discribe as a sweep.

So, as far as I see it must work up to 360?.

Edited by Horst M.