Design Layer Section Viewports

Christiaan

Question

13 answers to this question

I do not get the end user bit but to explain

I am doing a landscape design for say 15 houses - at the moment 40 in one project 30 in another and immediately dunno mayebe 25 or so

I import in 'their' dwg into a seperate file

I reference in that file - you know drawn by the drafties who draw buildings poorly with not joining lines and arcs that do not meet polies and lines or whatever - and lots of other crud - into a seperate layer as a Design Layer Veiwport so I can do my work over the top of theirs

I do not want their junk in my drawing

For my final drawings I use Sheet Layer Viewports for everything except Worksheets and some annotations

Yeah but why have the two concepts at all? This is what I mean. Why can't we just have one type of Viewport that can be created on and moved between both Design Layers and Sheet Layers? Make the Viewport aware of whether it's on a DL or SL... why should I, the end-user, have to worry about that?

By end-user I mean the person using the software, as opposed to anyone else with an interest, such as developers writing the software or the people buying the software.

Edited by Christiaan

SectionVP is a powerful container and seems to work really well ... i'm rather reluctant to toss it overboard ...

although the logic to cross-pollinate is sound... if this works so well .. then why not that, too.

However, the SectionVP is dependent on the DLayer state at any given moment in the process.

What happens when the SectionVP container becomes embedded within the DLayer container which it is referencing ?

To be functional within the DLayerContainer the SectionVP needs to be 'real-time' dynamic.

But even the most insignificant change within the DLayer will require the SectionVP to re-calculate if it is to be persistently relevant to the DLayer ( a time consuming process indeed ).

In fact... VP Updating is by necessity a manual process ... so the SectionVP will just sit there taking up valuable realestate until told to Update.

So what's the point of having it there getting in the way when it is just a click away within one of the static SheetContainers ?

I think there should always be two types of viewport, regular and section. They serve totally different purposes.

Should they both be able to be used anywhere? Yes both kinds should be able to have the same functionality on both Design and Sheet layers, at least to the extent that regular viewports currently are (on design layers they don't have a custom scale or render mode).

I know some of you don't think there should be sheet layers, but for me, the ability to have different drawings set up for different paper sizes is a great benefit. Sheet layers are what provides that benefit.

I, too, would like to be able to have section VPs on Design Layers AND would like to be able to reference external files directly into Sheet Layers.

The ability to have any viewport in DLs or SLs would add significant flexibility to VW.

I'd also like to be able to copy VPs from one file to another. I find not being able to do so a big pain.