slowness of general operations in 12.5

Had noticed a few hang ups during symbols and resources but can not reproduce them to time now, but have the following times:

Open programme - 1 min

Update VP 10 - 15 secs

Update all VPs - 4-5 mins

Save - 10 sec

which feels faster than before when on update date all VPs the pc crashed! The file is a 26.5 mb file with some fast renderwork perspectives in.

Nice to know how fast you should be going?

• 2 weeks later...

Opening files takes twice as long as 11.5

Saving across a network takes 10 times as long as 11.5, file sizes that were 3MB in 11.5 are now 15MB in 12.5. In AutoCad the same file would be 300KB.

12.5 documents are FINALLY emailable without stuffing (on a MAC) and now they are so big you can't email them.

Screen refresh is in seconds when working in groups with other objects displayed, in 11.5 it wasn't even something you would notice.

I have been using this program since MiniCAD6 and although it improves somewhat from version to version it seems like the best features get modified until they don't work anymore. What is up?

The application should be somewhere around 20-25 MB in size.

The folder itself is rather large, depending on the libraries installed.

How are you getting the information supporting the application is 260MB ?

File sizes, especially those with numerous textures should drop in size between VW 11 and 12.

If you have sample files demonstrating this - both the 11 AND the 12 file, please send them along with a detailed description of the problem to tech@nemetschek.net.

(Please do not email me directly - use the tech@ email address above)

After reading the messages here, I took all of the favorites out of the resources folder, restarted, added new favorites and the program suddenly starts much faster. If you go to "Show Package Contents", look for the Mac OS folder and click "Get Info" on Vectorworks, it shows a Unix Executable file at 74.4MB on disk. Even after dumping all of the favorites, it as still a large file.

Why dumping the favorites worked? We can't figure it out.

I did some investigating -- the application is larger on macs and when going from 12 0 1 to 12.5 due to the universal binary version of the application.

However, the larger file size shouldn't slow down operations in VW. The only place you will see a slow down is when launching the application.

Other factors that slow down the launch of the application are extensive libraries in the RB - each file has to load, the size of the file that is opening first (default blank file is small, however project files that are larger in size will require more time)

I imported an AutoCAD 2004 file that was 319KB and now it is 65MB in VW 12.5. While the program is running with just this file open it takes 461.6MB of RAM. Every operation takes 3-10 seconds to respond. I have dual 2.8G Xeon's with 4GB 800mhz RAM and SCSI drives on WinXP so this is crazy slow for me. What can I do to speed this program up?

Rustle, first you need to find out why the file is so large. Purge unnecessary symbols, layers, etc.

If you had 3d objects, those can come into VW larger than they were in ACAD because they have to be translated into 3d polygons. VW and ACAD just have different 3d object definitions in some cases. (By the way, this works both ways. VW files that are reasonably compact and contain 3d objects will balloon up when translated into ACAD, especially if there is a rendered view involved).

Imagine this (I'm using this as an analogy, not an example): a sphere can be defined by the location of its center and a radius (4 numbers). It can also be defined in approximate fashion by a thousand 3d polygons, each with 3 vertices, requiring 9 thousand numbers.