Grids covering my DWG export

Duncan Gunn

Question

I'm trying to export a selection of sheet layers to DWG. I've tried this via 'publish' and 'export'. To test the export, I've dragged the DWG into a blank file and I get this grid all over the drawing. I've tried messing with the settings but with no success. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Screenshot2024-04-03at10_17_57.thumb.png.00b467b7e9c01d815add9218098f4e3b.png

9 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I think that diagonal grid is just 2D Points that are off scale (?)

These 2D points often exist in PIOs like Windows to mark the opening

or in Symbols. Usually these are on the "non-plot" Class.

Thank you. I've looked into the classes of each viewport and turnign some of them off has helped a bit. There are still some 'grids' left though. A really laborious task just to export.

Try this one line script:

SetPref(5, NOT(GetPref(5)));

Long ago there was a user preference to show extension lines on loci. The interface to that was removed over a decade ago, but the ability still exists with the proper script. It looks like somehow it got turned on in your file.  The above script will toggle that preference on and off.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Duncan Gunn, the image from your post represents the re-imported graphics, right? Did you try to open the exported file in a DWG viewer? It seems to me, that these are the dimension lines, when graphics is re-imported in a layer with incorrect scale. Please, try to set the Model Space scale in the Advanced DXF/DWG import options to the original document layer scale. If this does not fix the issue, may I ask you to send the document directly to me?

48 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Long ago there was a user preference to show extension lines on loci. The interface to that was removed over a decade ago, but the ability still exists with the proper script. It looks like somehow it got turned on in your file.  The above script will toggle that preference on and off.

my money is on this.  Obscure enough to forget, until it happens.

55 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

How do I input this script. I haven't used scripts before. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Nina Ivanova said:

@Duncan Gunn, the image from your post represents the re-imported graphics, right? Did you try to open the exported file in a DWG viewer? It seems to me, that these are the dimension lines, when graphics is re-imported in a layer with incorrect scale. Please, try to set the Model Space scale in the Advanced DXF/DWG import options to the original document layer scale. If this does not fix the issue, may I ask you to send the document directly to me?

Hi Nina,
Yes, this is an image of what I see when I re-import the DWG into VW, after I have exported it. I'm checking that the recipient gets the right information. I'll try opening it in Illustrator and see if it reads ok. Otherwise, how can I send the VW file to you? Thanks.