Corner Windows not displaying correctly (also posted in Architecture Forum)

Dick Jenkins

Question

Certain corner windows on my project don not appear correctly in plan view. I have tried replacing them with duplicates of the windows that do appear corectly and they exhibit the same behavior. This is a project that was started in VW2023 and migrated over to VW2024. The 3D views seem to be fine. The walls are all joined properly.Screenshot2024-03-21at1_41_27PM.thumb.png.5cc0b708f8b3075866a5905188ea73b3.png

15 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

I found the setting in "walls" but did not see a setting for being enabled or not. 

I have been trying different thing. I was able to get  5'0" window to work. I started increasing the length by 1" and when it got to 5'9 it reverted back to the weird behavior. I have a couple of custom configuration windows wider than 6' that seem fine.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 4.18.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 4.19.43 PM.png

Edited by Dick Jenkins
had more additional information

If the Windows are styled you need to right-click on the style in the Resource Manager + select Plug-in Object Style Options.

If they are unstyled then you need to right-click on them in the drawing + select Plug-in Object Options.

I think with the changes to Doors/Windows in VW2024 Wall Closures somehow became more central but I don’t really know or understand the details. I have only started using VW2024 in earnest since Update 4 due to various bugs. @Matt Panzer would be the one to explain the under the hood role of Wall Flosures + comment of the problem with the fill. 

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I think with the changes to Doors/Windows in VW2024 Wall Closures somehow became more central but I don’t really know or understand the details. I have only started using VW2024 in earnest since Update 4 due to various bugs. @Matt Panzer would be the one to explain the under the hood role of Wall Flosures + comment of the problem with the fill. 

The issues with corner windows are a known bug.  The reason using wall closures give different results in the sills is because window sills and door threshold automatically fit themselves to the shape of the wall closure.  While this is a big improvement, implementing the door and window handing features in 2024 required major code changes that caused this issue that still needs to be resolved.

24 minutes ago, Dick Jenkins said:

There seems to be a lot of moving parts.

That's an understatement.  Matt's been very helpful with wall clousres in other threads on the forum, but I still can't keep things straight.  A full tutorial webinar or PDF would be great. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

The issues with corner windows are a known bug.  The reason using wall closures give different results in the sills is because window sills and door threshold automatically fit themselves to the shape of the wall closure.  While this is a big improvement, implementing the door and window handing features in 2024 required major code changes that caused this issue that still needs to be resolved.

Matt — For some reason in your post above I see a frowning face and a message saying:

‘Sorry, we can’t show this content because you do not have permission to see it’.

It’s something I haven’t seen before on the User Forum. Am I the only one? Thanks.

18 hours ago, Dick Jenkins said:

Thanks Matt! I think the whole issue of wall closures would be a good webinar or coffee break topic. There seems to be a lot of moving parts.

Have a great weekend!

There is a coffee break that came out just after wall closures were first introduced.  While some things have changed since then, I think it still covers the basic concepts pretty well.  One notable change is the profile offsets we’re moved from the insert to the wall closure settings.

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/view.php?id=2021

• Like 1
16 hours ago, rDesign said:

Matt — For some reason in your post above I see a frowning face and a message saying:

‘Sorry, we can’t show this content because you do not have permission to see it’.

It’s something I haven’t seen before on the User Forum. Am I the only one? Thanks.

@rDesign, Strange.  I have not seen that happen before.  Please let me know if you can see this message.

Here’s my last message in case you still cannot see it:

On 3/21/2024 at 8:03 PM, Matt Panzer said:

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

There is a coffee break that came out just after wall closures were first introduced.  While some things have changed since then, I think it still covers the basic concepts pretty well.  One notable change is the profile offsets we’re moved from the insert to the wall closure settings.

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/view.php?id=2021

I think there's still room for further instruction. I'd appreciate some guidance on how to use the VW2024 Wall Closure Names for example. Plus something on the Insertion Location settings as per this thread:

I feel that I can generally get what I want but not necessarily in the most efficient/intelligent manner. I'd like to feel more in control of how I'm using these settings. 

• Like 2
On 3/23/2024 at 10:54 AM, rDesign said:

@Matt Panzer I can see the link to the Vw University course you posted in THIS previous post, but in that one I still see the frowning face.

Screenshot of what I see—
8F11AC24-24B8-4910-8A3A-1ADA8C007702.thumb.jpeg.badccb3e9c0e5cf201db1901917f978a.jpeg

If it is just that University course link you posted, then I’m not missing anything. Thanks.

Weird.  The link was to another thread for the title "Representation of Window Sills in Masonry Walls 2D/3D".  Search for the in the forums and hopefully it'll come up that way.  Actually, that thread is very short but links to another much longer thread titled "Representation of Window Sills in Masonry Walls - 2D".

On 3/24/2024 at 9:36 AM, Tom W. said:

I think there's still room for further instruction. I'd appreciate some guidance on how to use the VW2024 Wall Closure Names for example. Plus something on the Insertion Location settings as per this thread:

I feel that I can generally get what I want but not necessarily in the most efficient/intelligent manner. I'd like to feel more in control of how I'm using these settings. 

I agree more is needed with the improvements that have been made since then.  I'll see if anything is being planned...

• Like 2