Creating a 'Site Model' Class: States already existing

5 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

The standard advice is to put site modifiers on their own layer. Just makes it a lot easier to select them + isolate them. This is what I have in the file I'm currently in:

Screenshot2024-02-05at11_03_30.png.916d7b73a261781c81e166726ce34a85.png 

I personally don't use Property Lines as site modifiers so I put them in a separate 'annotations' layer. I just use it as a glorified polygon to represent the red line site boundary which I turn on in Top/Plan VPs when needed. 

I'm really struggling with this. What about classes?

None of the Videos explain it very well. I currently have a Site Model and a Planar Pad Modifier which is having no effect on the Site Model.

I have attached the model as I am really losing the will to live. What am I doing wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zq1xi9k2xe60vrcl3wpjy/C11-2023-02-ECB-Luton-Site-Layout-Planning.vwx?rlkey=pvvw17hvpdthtxyfez5iwbiuq&dl=0

Mike

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I agree that a single modifiers layer is useful. However, bear in mind that splitting them onto multiple layers can be helpful when troubleshooting. But always make sure the Site Model itself it set to interact with the correct layers.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

I agree that a single modifiers layer is useful. However, bear in mind that splitting them onto multiple layers can be helpful when troubleshooting. But always make sure the Site Model itself it set to interact with the correct layers.

What about Classes? What Class should I put them on?

Mike

I do very limited DTM modeling, so my Classes are pretty basic.  My starting point is that Site-DTM-Modifier is an automatically created Class with a reserved name.  In order to keep my Classes organized, I use similar naming structures for things I want to differentiate, often with Texture Beds:

• Site-DTM-Textures-Property Line
  • Site-DTM-Textures-Paths

I'm sure people who do more significant site modeling will have other workflows.

Added tip: You can create a Site Modifier from a 3D Polygon (maybe other objects, but that's what I use) by classing it as Site-DTM-Modifier on a Layer that is connected to the DTM.  

1 hour ago, Michael Siggers said:

Mike

The class Site-DTM-Modifier, which is automatically created the first time you create a Site Modifier, is a special class in that any NURBS or 3D poly that you put in this Class can be used as a Site Modifier.. 

1 hour ago, Michael Siggers said:

Mike

I don't think it really matters what class they're on to be honest. Mine are generally on 'None' but like @E|FA says, you need to be mindful of the automatically-created 'Site-DTM-Modifier' class as well because even if your modifier object is on 'None' or another class, the 'Site-DTM-Modifier' class will still affect its visibility. So that being said, perhaps putting them on 'Site-DTM-Modifier' would be the best strategy...? Having said that it's never caused me any issues whatever class they are on: I control their visibility via the layer they're on + I'm not concerned about assigning attributes to them by class or otherwise so it's kind of irrelevant. But be interested to hear whether others say otherwise...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 hours ago, Michael Siggers said:

@Michael Siggers,  Hi, the only time the class has any bearing on whether the site modifier will work is if you're using objects other than the standard site modifiers to act as site modifiers (e.g., 3D polys or NURBS curves). In these cases, they must be placed in the Site-DTM-Modifier class.

Background: If you ungroup a site modifier (I don't mean that you should do this, it's only an explanation of where it is important), you'll get a 3D poly in the class Site-DTM-Modifier - this is what's actually 'the active ingredient' in the modifier and where the class is essential. What class you place the whole site modifier in doesn't matter.

Many objects can contain site modifiers - hardscape, landscape areas, roads, massing models, certain blue symbols, etc.; the same is valid here - you don't need to place the objects in a specific class for them to work. The important thing is that they're placed on a layer that the site model is set up to consider.

• Like 4