Cannot select objects

Margaret J

Question

Hi

In 2 different files I have an object that cannot be selected. I need to delete them as they are no longer correct. Both are floors. I can see the floor in Unified view of the design layer but cannot select it to edit it or delete.  When unified view is turned on, the floor disappears so again it is cannot be selected thus edited or deleted. I have restarted VW and the computer and done a repair of VW using the update application and am still having the same issue. All classes are visible and editable for the design layer. The objects are visible in plan view but not in 3d views even though they are floors. They are highlighted if I do a select all but still cannot select them individually.

This issue started after I recently updated to 2024. The Unified View now shows in the tool bar. Maybe a new functionality of unified view that is affecting the objects?

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Edited by Margaret J

7 answers to this question

Could be this:

Have just checked + is still happening. But I never use Floors anyway. Plus I am not using VW2024 yet either (due to other bugs)...

I never have Unified View turned off so have no idea how that affects it. 

I wonder how far @cberg got with the bug they submitted in October...?

• Like 1

Beside, I sometimes tumble over locked elements.

I myself use this feature very rarely but could get

them from imports or client files.

You also can't select or edit these.

You have to hover it,

then right mouse click menu,

"unlock".

Then you can edit or delete them.

And yes, "VW Floors" are inofficially deprecated and not

working well in many aspects.

I only use the Slab Tool.

Edited by zoomer

@Tom W. Nobody at VW has given me an official Bug number for this issue.  I am not sure whether it is being worked on, or even if it is considered a bug. As an aside, I am also not using VW2024 for real projects until a few more bugs are fixed.

@Margaret J You should be able to select the corrupt floor by using the custom selection tool, and deleting it.  From the menu tool bar, select "Tools -- Custom Selection", and then select floors.  If you want to use the floor tool, I would make sure that you convert the shape to a polygon before making a floor.  The floor corruption problem only happens when a rectangle is used to generate the object and the floor is reshaped (without double clicking into the parametric object) using the reshape tool.

ScreenShot2024-01-09at8_17_39AM.thumb.png.2bfb7ae489656a345e830a562c40da2e.png

@zoomer Unofficial deprecation (a.k.a developing and abandoning tools) is a terrible software development/management approach.  If VW Development wants to abandon floors, they should make the policy official and put the tool into the Legacy Workspace. 

BIM novices and others may find Floors simpler/quicker/easier to use in certain instances.  Folks certainly cannot be expected to know the behind-the-scenes history of specific functionalities. 

• Like 3

Yes.  I did.   Bug submit is always a bit of a black hole. 

I had a few back-and-forth emails with Premium Tech support.  Made a low-quality video documenting the issue.  But I did not hear anything definitive as to whether it would be fixed. 

Floor objects that cannot be selected once reshaped is not a normal  VW functionality.  But maybe reshaping a parametric object without double-clicking into the shape is a non-standard workflow.

Edited by cberg