Slash Drape Modelling

lxplot

Hi Tobias,

15 minutes ago, Tobias Kern said:

now the "Loft Surface Tool" should be improved with a "History",

Yes it would.  The keep curves option is a half way option.

Having an editable (history) version of this is needed, if for no other reason than it's 2024.  I think this could be done using "classes".

Seasonal greetings from Canada.

10 hours ago, line-weight said:

I have had moderate success modelling curtains using Subdivisions. This makes them a bit easier to edit/adjust than is the case with lofts. It also makes that editing a little more intuitive especially if you want to do something like I have here, with a gather.

Screenshot2023-12-13at13_07_43.jpg.1acfc09e52bfac2aa6bd2a8cc967c296.jpgScreenshot2023-12-13at13_07_51.jpg.e5e56a8eb11ec42d8287725111acbea8.jpgScreenshot2023-12-13at13_07_58.jpg.9b46c4ccd4d9b81e7e380b85f133e45a.jpgScreenshot2023-12-13at13_08_47.jpg.f372d9d0bb564fcc41b814a240df1043.jpgScreenshot2023-12-13at13_09_02.jpg.3cd9fee27d3278318bb33db01ee39a24.jpg

@grant_PD—super cool. Would you mind to go into a bit more detail on your SubD methodology for creating these objects. Much appreciated!

9 hours ago, mjm said:

@grant_PD—super cool. Would you mind to go into a bit more detail on your SubD methodology for creating these objects. Much appreciated!

If that question is for me - as far as I remember:

I started with a "square" subdivision primitive of the overall size of the curtain. Then divided it vertically several times. Then you can group-select nodes/edges to move them out of plane to create a basic corrugated surface. From then on, some manual tweaking to make them look a bit less regular. The ones that are gathered, obviously require a larger number of nodes, and then a lot of trial & error manual adjustment.

The fact that you can use the "3d dragger" thing on subdivisions means it's a bit easier to keep a handle on what you are moving and how, than with some other tools.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, line-weight said:

If that question is for me - as far as I remember:

I started with a "square" subdivision primitive of the overall size of the curtain. Then divided it vertically several times. Then you can group-select nodes/edges to move them out of plane to create a basic corrugated surface. From then on, some manual tweaking to make them look a bit less regular. The ones that are gathered, obviously require a larger number of nodes, and then a lot of trial & error manual adjustment.

The fact that you can use the "3d dragger" thing on subdivisions means it's a bit easier to keep a handle on what you are moving and how, than with some other tools.

@line-weight—super, my thanks.