I get an error message every time I quit Vectorworks Architect 2023 or 2024 in MacOS Sonoma

doug shaffer

Question

I can't seem to find anyone else on the forum that's dealing with this issue.  Like it says in the subject line, every time I quit VWA 2023 or 2024 I get an error message saying "Vectorworks 202X quit unexpectedly."  I have not noticed that there's any file damage when re-opening the files but it concerns me.  Is this a bug in VW or Sonoma?

I have all the latest updates for VW and Sonoma and I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro.

I can copy / paste the "Problem Details and System Configuration" if that would be helpful.  

Thanks for any help you can offer -

Doug

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 3.45.33 PM.png

15 answers to this question

Since you are on a 2019 machine, I am assuming that VW was already installed when you upgraded the OS.  

Have you tried running the VW Updater app in the application folder? Start by choosing the Advanced Option menu on the right and choose Repair and see if that fixes the problem.  If it doesn't, then I would suggest Uninstalling VW and reinstalling. No reason that should work, but there are often mysterious reasons computers don't do what we expect.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi,

I noticed the same for me.

After my accidental update to Sonoma (I only wanted to download it, but

Sonoma installed it itself= my fault), I have problems by quitting

Vectorworks, even with the new Sonoma update 14.1.

Yesterday I installed VW 2024, (release day in Germany)

and I also got crashes by quitting VW.

So VW 2024 got installed after the migration to Sonoma.

Vectorworks is the one and only software with crashes like this

after my update to Sonoma!

Things I tried:

- permission reset via Terminal

- Repair with Vectorworks Updater

- rebuild of the user-folder

Things that I think could still lead to problems for me (completely subjective)

- my User in macOS (maybe I try to a new user)

- my custom Workspace setting

Best would be to by a new Mac! 🤣

Greetings from Germany
Tobi

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Since you are on a 2019 machine, I am assuming that VW was already installed when you upgraded the OS.  

Have you tried running the VW Updater app in the application folder? Start by choosing the Advanced Option menu on the right and choose Repair and see if that fixes the problem.  If it doesn't, then I would suggest Uninstalling VW and reinstalling. No reason that should work, but there are often mysterious reasons computers don't do what we expect.

HTH

Thanks Pat -

I tried the VW Updater "Repair" function to no avail and uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix the problem either.  As long as it's not corrupting my files or hurting anything else on my computer I'm not too worried about it.  Just a little concerned.  

Doug

You start with one of the Default Workspaces that ship with VW and add/move commands and tools and add/edit the assigned shortcuts to match your desired configuration.

To make it slightly easier to remember what you have, you can go to Tools:Workspaces:Workspaces... , select your custom workspace and then click the Export button and you will get a Text version that lists the commands in each menu, the tools in each palette, and the shortcuts that are associated with them.

image.png.0f646e5d032dea2a03b7df88bbca9c06.png

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

You start with one of the Default Workspaces that ship with VW and add/move commands and tools and add/edit the assigned shortcuts to match your desired configuration.

To make it slightly easier to remember what you have, you can go to Tools:Workspaces:Workspaces... , select your custom workspace and then click the Export button and you will get a Text version that lists the commands in each menu, the tools in each palette, and the shortcuts that are associated with them.

image.png.0f646e5d032dea2a03b7df88bbca9c06.png

Well, I deleted all of my non-default workspaces and added tools and quick keys as I desire to the default "Architect" workspace but that didn't fix the problem.  Any other thoughts?  Otherwise, I'll wait until VW Update 2 to see if that changes anything.

Thanks -

Doug

26 minutes ago, doug shaffer said:

It still crashes.  

FYI, I received a message from Juan P. and sent him my serial number and crash report.  I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks

Also, FYI, I tried opening Vectorworks without opening a file but I still get the "Vectorworks 202X quit unexpectedly." message when quitting the application.