Loft Surface Tool does not work

MGuilfoile

Question

I'm using VW2023 and I wanted to experiment with the loft surface tool. So, I drew an arc on the floor , drew a larger arc about 10 feet above the first arc, then (looking from the left side) drew an arc to use as a rail. This was done while following a YouTube tutorial. I copied what the instructor did. I selected the Loft Tool and then, just as disembodied voice instructed, I began to select the NURBS I had created. Unlike the instructor on YouTube, none of my NURBS could be selected. The ones in the tutorial became bright red when selected. Mine did not. Dead. End.

Any idea as to why my version of VW does not have a working Loft Surface Tool? Thanks for any advice.

MHBrown

17 answers to this question

@MGuilfoile did you convert your arcs to NURBS Curves?

2d Arcs will not loft,  nor will 3d polyline “arcs”.

Try this:

Select the 3 arcs, then Modify menu>Convert>Convert to NURBS.

Result is a group containing 3 NURBS Curves. They should look the same as the unconverted objects, and like the tutorial objects.   Ungroup.

Or, if you already did the conversion, Make sure that the original objects are not still there, coincident with the  NURBS. Delete or move them. 

Now try your Loft process. If you are in the Loft Birail Sweep mode of the Loft tool (what you described), the NURBS Curves should highlight as shown in the tutorial. 

Post back and attach your file if things not working. 
Lofting is really wonderful. Keep trying and post here as needed. 

-B

• Like 2

Thanks to all the answers! I did everything you suggest, but I forgot to mention that I was working on a Windows 10 computer. That might be the problem. I have VW2023 on my MacBook Pro and when I tried it there it worked fine. I went back to the Windows machine and just ignored the fact that I wasn't getting any feedback when I tried to select. This time it worked, despite the NURBS curves not showing any evidence of being selected...except for the red line that shows the connection. Still, it wouldn't let me Shell the resulting shape to anything over 4 inches thick, despite there being plenty of room to go thicker. I suppose the tool still needs work...but it is working.

Thanks again for the quick help!

MHBrown

• Like 1

Glad it’s working. I think you mean the red highlighting when you say “selection”, but just in case . . . Note that the loft operations do not require prior selection (Select Tool) of the various NURBS Curves. They will highlight when clicked if eligible, whether selected or not.  Verify on your Windows CPU that Vwx prefs for interactive display settings for highlighting and pre selection are as expected. Might have something shut off there. 

-B

Thank you for the "enable tool highlighting" tip. It makes no sense that this would be off by default since most, if not all, similar feedback loops are on by default. This should be changed. Thanks again, but any idea as to why if would not "shell" to anything over four inches? There is no visual reason. If it works for four inches, it should work for 40 since it was lofting between two gentle curves about 20 feet wide.

This is still not working in multiple files. If it is not a known bug, then I don't suppose there is much I can do. For some reason, the loft tool will not selet NURBS curves at all. Very frustrating. I don't have time to fix other people's (aka Vectorworks and Microsoft) problems. I am too busy to stop what I'm doing.

Thank you for all the help, but they are all things I have already tried. This and other tools are simply broken on my machine alone, apparently. VW2023 SP7.

MH Brown

On 9/25/2023 at 5:29 AM, MGuilfoile said:

any idea as to why if would not "shell" to anything over four inches?

Maybe a ripple somewhere in the surface? Shelling greater than 4 inches creates a self intersecting volume, causing calculation fail?

Sometimes a workaround is to shell to a value that DOES work, then, while the shell is selected, adjust the value in OIP (as opposed to starting a new shell at a higher value).  4 to 40 seems a stretch, but might work. 

Post a file!

-B

• Like 1
On 9/25/2023 at 8:29 AM, MGuilfoile said:

but any idea as to why if would not "shell" to anything over four inches?

Shell has conditions.  A surface may simply not shell at all or only to what it can.  One way around this is to shell in one direction, duplicate and shell the other and add solids.

Loft surface, which I find odd, should be "loft curves to create surface" does not usually have conditions.  I don't think your curves are NURBS curves.  Not that you have put them down incorrectly, just something has gone wrong.

One way to check.  Select your curve, go to 3D Power Pack and select "Rebuild NURBS".  

1- if no dialogue box comes up, then they are not NURBS curves

2-If the dialogue box comes up, then rebuild the curves (default) and see what happens.

It looks like I did have the selection highlighting off, so I am able to select objects now. Human error again, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure why that is turned off. In fact, I can't think of why anyone would want it off, but I'm sure there is a reason. Loft File 02.vwxLoft File 02.vwxI have to say, however, hiding the Vectorwork Preferences under Tools / Options is a little odd. This should be put with the Document preferences under File / Document Settings where it belongs. 

Anyway, I'm attaching the file and, although it is lofting, it is not following the rail. All of the "ribs" are identical, so I'm not sure what is happening. Also, is there a way to add thickness to the lofted shape? I get a -200 error when I try to upload the file, so it may not work.

Thanks,

MHBrown

@MGuilfoile That file name looks strange - like it's a repeat paste?

Is Loft File 02.vwxLoft File 02.vwx correct file name?

The forum definitely accepts vwx files, pretty much any version and from any OS.  A file used to be refused if over a size threshold, but haven't seen any limit lately.  

Try again if you have the patience - drag/drop the file (the icon of the file) into that area for attachments just below the text area of each post.

-B