Workflow management

vassen

Hello,

How do you guys manage your workflow withou making your Vectorworks files bulky.

In the exemple below i have use reference for my buildings and house.

My files have reach 600MB and i am yet to create viewport for presentation and print.

The file contains vehicles, people, Road pol light, Hardscape for the road and land, Wall styles was use to create the hedge, 3D trees and 3D site modelling.

Thanks for your advice and help.

Workflow.png

Edited by vassen
1 minute ago, Christiaan said:

One strategy is to use workgroup referencing to create your sheet layers in a separate file. I don't like it because it can bring a host of problems, but sometimes there is no choice but to split your files up in some fashion. Sounds like you're at that point.

Yes i have been using REFERENCING for the house and Building (which is built separately on another vectorworks files) on the screenshot.

when i start to create viewport the files size will go beyond 1GB

I have a current project where my files have reach 1.8GB

17 minutes ago, vassen said:

Hello,

How do you guys manage your workflow withou making your Vectorworks files bulky.

In the exemple below i have use reference for my buildings and house.

My files have reach 600MB and i am yet to create viewport for presentation and print.

The file contains vehicles, people, Road pol light, Hardscape for the road and land, Wall styles was use to create the hedge, 3D trees and 3D site modelling.

Thanks for your advice and help.

Workflow.png

600 MB is not particularly big. The largest file I'm working on at the moment is 2.7 GB + not having any issues with it. Another one is 2.2 GB. A third is 1.4 GB.

I personally have not found that design layer viewport or layer import referencing radically reduces file size + often creates more problems that it solves.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

600 MB is not particularly big. The largest file I'm working on at the moment is 2.7 GB + not having any issues with it. Another one is 2.2 GB. A third is 1.4 GB.

I personally have not found that design layer viewport or layer import referencing radically reduces file size + often creates more problems that it solves.

Thanks, when updating my viewport it take 5 to 15minutes to update one viewport sometime even more.

24 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

What type of VP? Presumably that's down to the VP size, sheet DPI, lighting/reflections/etc + render settings rather than file size?

Whan i create my viewport to send to sheet layer, i uses Shaded for my viewport, the dpi is 150 or 72.

Sometime even at 72 dpi the updating is very slow.

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Well that seems like a reasonable amount of RAM.

Reason I asked was that I've had experience of viewport rendering (when the viewports contain a large amount of geometry) taking a very long time when RAM usage gets overwhelmed. On a mac you can monitor what's happening with memory, assume similar is possible on a PC.

Yes the large amount of geometry will take long time to render.

1 hour ago, bcd said:

Have you already turned off the classes for all the interior components in your referenced houses? Plumbing, interior furniture, stairs, etc?

@bcd, the interior is on another layer which is switch off, the elevation contain only the wall, texture, windows, trees and site modelling.

14 hours ago, bcd said:

Hmm, have you experimented with temporarily turning off the trees and hedges.

Some of these can be heavy and if you notice a significant improvement it may be worth replacing with a lighter one.

Will check to see if this work. The tree do make the file bulky.

30 minutes ago, shorter said:

It's the trees.  Do you need trees of that resolution everywhere?  The view is at a scale/size that makes seeing every leaf a bit redundant.  When zooming in try hiding some of the trees that you do see in the view.

Hmmmm ok, how would you hide the tree separately?

Do i have to put each tree on one class? if i have around 200 new trees in a project how would you proceed?

With or without tree viewport tend to be slow a time with vectorworks 2023 to update in when in shaded mode...

28 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Isn't VW shaded mode clever enough to know it doesn't need to render every leaf at that scale though?

Does it work differently in viewports from how it works in live views of design layers, where you can move around models with complex geometry in real time and it doesn't try to resolve stuff in the distance?

When i work in real time it does not lag that much but when i am in viewpoint for update its super slow

1 minute ago, Tom W. said:

Can you confirm these aren't section VPs?

I work with both normal elevation and section viewport for my elevation in shaded mode and both took time to update

They are not on the same sheet layer.

The reason i use these 3D plant is because i uses them directly for my rendering on lumion...