Bug Submit web form. Abandoned?

Benson Shaw

Question

The online bug submit form has a pulldown to choose an operating system related to the bug submit.  The MacOS choices top out at 12.x  The current Mac version is 13.x (Ventura).   14.x (Sonoma) is coming soon.

Is this bug form abandoned? Should we submit bug reports elsewhere?

How would one know whether a submittal was received?

-B

BugForm.thumb.png.33b88733249ffea1eeb97dc3ef107012.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
be, the same dif
  • Like 3

9 answers to this question

Given how long this has been going on and if I had to guess, I would say there's some sort of integration with Vectorworks planned or in process so they're ignoring the problems with the Bug Submit form. NNA tends to ignore items that have been deemed EOL internally but isn't very forthcoming with the information that its happening or what the future plan is.....

There was lots of interest a few years ago when someone posted about the live bug submission process for OnShape.

Kevin

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To clarify, the bug submit form has not been abandoned. Please continue to use this form to report bugs. We are working on re-tooling this form so that it can be easier and clearer to use, while also being adaptable to changes (like OS versions) on the fly. It is typical of bug submissions not to receive any reply unless further information is needed to replicate/investigate the bug. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jblock said:

To clarify, the bug submit form has not been abandoned. Please continue to use this form to report bugs. We are working on re-tooling this form so that it can be easier and clearer to use, while also being adaptable to changes (like OS versions) on the fly. It is typical of bug submissions not to receive any reply unless further information is needed to replicate/investigate the bug. 

Thanks Joseph,

Really this is all about point of view. As users we feel its been abandoned. As a company you feel its not a priority. The first post about this was years ago. I can and have built submission forms on my own website in under an hour.

Also, to clarify, we're not looking for a reply, we're looking for an acknowledgement that the submission was received and a way to track it for future followup. Yes, we can do this if we submit through the service select email address but many of this pre-date that by many years (I've used Vectorworks since Minicad 5).

Kevin 

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, jblock said:

It is typical of bug submissions not to receive any reply

Without a reply confirming receipt, why should I even bother submitting?  For all I know it's disappearing into the ether.  The bare minimum acknowledging receipt is the minimum necessary (and polite) thing for you to do as a company.  

AND how can you properly diagnose a potential bug without having the correct OS vision.  Is everything else you're doing so time sensitive that you can't update the Mac OS versions annually?  You can manage to update the VW version, so why not take care of the OS issue, which I add to the comments every time I use the form?  

Not dealing with the quick and simple things, and not being courteous, gives your customers a bad feeling...

• Like 1

Couple of side bar questions:

1. Some folks seem to submit bugs and somehow find, or receive an ID for it (eg  VB#xxxxx), and apparently know some URL or other way to follow progress related to the submittal, or work on the bug.  How does one get into that loop?

2.  I also see forum threads referring to submittal of a JIRA.  What is a JIRA and it's purpose?

Thanks

-B

• Like 1