"Server Busy" Popup when trying to open a VW File

Chris J Clarke

Question

Hi,

I'm getting this popup when I try and open a VW file. It says "Server Busy" This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "switch to" to activate the busy program and correct the problem"

Pressing "Retry" doesn't work, and "Switch to" just opens the windows menu bar. After a few minutes, clicking "retry" works and opens the file.

I can't work out what's causing it. Can someone help me please?

VW2023 Server Busy.png

13 answers to this question

• Administrator

@Chris J ClarkeThis message occurs when a background process or an application prevents Vectorworks or any other application from performing the requested task.

A couple of things to try:

• Restart your computer
  • Close any other open program
  • Unplug any peripheral (USB device) 
  • Check for viruses
  • Run any Windows updates

I hope that helps.

I think I've isolated it to a Mobile Internet Router I have. I tried plugging my Ethernet back into the main Internet Router and it stops giving me the error.

I bought the Mobile Router as our home Internet is very slow, and my Vectorworks is constantly uploading my files to Dropbox, so Ibought the Mobile Broadband System.

It is much faster than the home line, but I can't seem to find what's causing the Server Busy error when using the Mobile System.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I've started seeing this occasionally too. For me I think it's that my default printer is one in the office that I can't reach from home and there's a hang when new files try to set up their page size. I get it in excel as well (excel status bar says "accessing printer, press esc to cancel").

On 7/7/2023 at 10:19 PM, Rick Berge said:

I've started seeing this occasionally too. For me I think it's that my default printer is one in the office that I can't reach from home and there's a hang when new files try to set up their page size. I get it in excel as well (excel status bar says "accessing printer, press esc to cancel").

That could make sense. My default printer is on my home network that VW used to be on. Now I'm on the Mobile Broadband, maybe it's trying to find the printer on the old network. I'll try connecting the printer to the Mobile Broadband Router and see what happens...

On 8/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, grant_PD said:

I get this all the time, and have no idea what causes it.  It goes away after a few clicks.  I've done all the things that Juan recommends, except closing all other programs.

Did you try what we did above? Getting rid of any printers that you don't have connected to your computer any more? Mine was a printer that used to be connected over a network that was causing it for me. I deleted it from the list of Windows Printers, and the problem went away.

On 7/5/2023 at 5:15 AM, JuanP said:

@Chris J ClarkeThis message occurs when a background process or an application prevents Vectorworks or any other application from performing the requested task.

A couple of things to try:

• Restart your computer
  • Close any other open program
  • Unplug any peripheral (USB device) 
  • Check for viruses
  • Run any Windows updates

I hope that helps.

@JuanP This is a VW bug and should be looked into seriously, it's depriving us of productivity.

Edited by Patrick Fritsch