New Home Screen

MGuilfoile

Question

9 answers to this question

Can't live without the Recent Files Previews (in any CAD App) anymore.

But I think for the peripheral Message Center, Advertisment, ... Section,

I could live well with previous pop ups from drawing area, that did not ask

if you really want to close/delete in the past.

At the beginning I was often afraid if closing the Welcome Screen would

close VW. Now I am reasonably confident that my File Window will re-appear

after I close the Welcome Screen.

(Would like it even more, if VW just only jumps its Icon in Dock until it is

fully loaded and ready - with welcome screen, .......

instead of only shortly jumping but disturbing me by switching from my

active "Space" (virtual desktop) over to VW's assigned Space.

To VW ...., opening VW App doesn't necessarily mean that I want to

give VW some attention - for the next ten minutes .. or hours.

Well, I have to admit that I also meet other Apps beside you - sorry)

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Can't live without the Recent Files Previews

I agree. I appreciate being able to open VW + immediately access a recent file with one click rather than the longer File > Open Recent... route, plus I've got the preview, file size + last opened date to help confirm I'm opening the right file. Alternatively there's a nice big button to open a template. It just feels quicker + easier. But I know it's not for everyone so great it can be disabled.

• Like 1

I haven't been a fan of the Home Screen on hardly any program I use, but I guess it is the way of the future as OS function awareness decreases rapidly.

Prior to Vectorworks creating their version, I just made a search query and saved it to the sidebar of finder (on a Mac here, I assume windows has a similar functionality).  It's more powerful and makes up for the shortcomings with the Home Screen when it comes to previewing and opening up containing folders for other purposes.

Plus, it can see your network and portable drives and present those recents too, assuming they are reconnected.  Vectorworks forgets they exist the first time you launch and the drive is not connected.

And here's one way it can look 🙂

One handy thing about this is you can make it report it report .pdfs generated by Vectorworks at the same time... This is handy for finding plots that may have been dropped off in the wrong location.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I didn't get serious about usingMac OS until 2016, so it's not hard 🙂

ScreenShot2023-06-19at20_42_24.thumb.png.c7df1747b26a1d1bb786e043027cc1b8.png

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jeff prince said:

I haven't been a fan of the Home Screen on hardly any program I use, but I guess it is the way of the future as OS function awareness decreases rapidly.

Prior to Vectorworks creating their version, I just made a search query and saved it to the sidebar of finder (on a Mac here, I assume windows has a similar functionality).  It's more powerful and makes up for the shortcomings with the Home Screen when it comes to previewing and opening up containing folders for other purposes.

Plus, it can see your network and portable drives and present those recents too, assuming they are reconnected.  Vectorworks forgets they exist the first time you launch and the drive is not connected.

And here's one way it can look 🙂

One handy thing about this is you can make it report it report .pdfs generated by Vectorworks at the same time... This is handy for finding plots that may have been dropped off in the wrong location.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  I didn't get serious about usingMac OS until 2016, so it's not hard 🙂

ScreenShot2023-06-19at20_42_24.thumb.png.c7df1747b26a1d1bb786e043027cc1b8.png

Presumably the advent of the Home Screen doesn't prevent you continuing to do any of this though?