Copy And Paste won't work

Jen Casa

Question

Hello everyone,

I've been facing this issue for a while, and even after getting a new version of VW, it still hasn't been resolved. That's why I'm reaching out here 🙂

The problem I'm experiencing is that I'm unable to copy text from a text box.

I can easily copy the entire text box, texts from the object info, or even from a callout text box. However, I'm unable to copy text specifically from a text box.

Interestingly, pasting seems to work fine; it's just the copying that's not functioning.

Could someone please assist me in figuring out this issue?

Thank you!

21 answers to this question

This has reminded me: is there any reason why I can paste values into the 'Rotation' field when I use local mapping for a Hatch in the Attributes Palette...? You can copy + paste values in all other areas as far as I know (OIP, tool dialogs, etc) but not this one...

Win 11 is compatible with VW2021 and VW2022 (and VW2023).

There have been some reports of copy/paste problems being related to Win 11 System Files. I have not seen other reports of this here, so it is either not a VW problem, or you have a specific problem case.

See these websites for more information on the Win 11 copy/paste problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-and-paste-not-working-sometimes-on-windows-11/be3aa3a4-f132-406f-8041-19771e6f01c7

https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-copy-paste-not-working/

Is there some other enhancement software you are both running?

In any case, since no one else has chimed in here, it seems like this is not a very common problem.

My recommendation is that you contact VW Tech Support directly to try and solve this. I don't think that the volunteers here on there forum are going to be able to help on this one.

FYI

I have some issues with COPY / PASTE on my MacBook Pro M1 - (OS 12.6.6) & VectorWorks 2020 - 2023 

Except I typically see these issues when I am working with the VectorWorks Files. ( ¿ not inside the drawing ?)

Example: Copy a name in the Finder (utilize only the keyboard - no mouse) then attempt to past in the VectorWorks Save / Open dialog. (again ... utilize only the keyboard - no mouse)

What I have found is the Copy/Paste works, only with the mouse (ie: cursor) + right click ...while the keyboard does NOT work for Copy/Paste in this situation.

(Side Note: This Copy/Paste dilemma is compounded by the long standing VectorWorks only issue where the Open/Save dialog box spills out wider than the screen and requires additional gymnastics to operate. @Jeremy Best  has provided a work around with the exception that it is an ongoing VectorWorks Only issue even with version 2023 SP5.

I am utilizing an app called Default Folder  to enhance the Finder (Pat's comment above...)  Except, if it is causing issues, it is only with VectorWorks after 2018 / 2020 (there about) arrived - My older MacBook with Pre VW 2018, does NOT have these issues - Again, VectorWorks is the only place where  I have experience these Copy/Paste issues.

(I will check in a drawing today and see what happens inside...)

My 2¢

Peter

Hi @Elite Exhibits, my expectation was that the 'ever-widening open/save dialog' issue was being caused (sometimes) during an upgrade of the Mac operating system and therefore is not caused by Vectorworks software. I thought this was likely because only some users are affected, but perhaps I'm wrong. Has this issue returned for you after deleting your affected Vectorworks .plist file? 

Regarding @Jen Casa's issue, I second Pat's assertion that enhancement software might be the cause. I say so because the issue only applies to highlighted text inside the drawing area. - It seems the drawing area is the only part of the Vectorworks interface that graphics-related enhancement software affects/controls. Basically, the remedy is to tell the software concerned to 'stop trying to help Vectorworks.' I've linked the steps to this below. Try them and let us know if they work for you. 

13 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

my expectation was that the 'ever-widening open/save dialog' issue was being caused (sometimes) during an upgrade of the Mac operating system and therefore is not caused by Vectorworks software. I thought this was likely because only some users are affected, but perhaps I'm wrong. Has this issue returned for you after deleting your affected Vectorworks .plist file? 

@Jeremy Best I do use a Helper app called Default Folder on the MacBook Pro M1 - OS 12.6.7 -  VectorWorks (2020/SP6 - 2023/SP5) is the only app that has this too wide Save/Open dialog box issue.

see attached: VW2023 No external monitors connected.

At the office, I have two external monitors - Remotely, only the MacBook Screen. Problem exists in both situations.

Have noted that Save/Open dialog, appearing on the external monitors (...when in use) appear wider than normal, yet they are complete and do not spill off  left / right sides as they do on the MacBook Pro screen.

I am not sure why or when, the problem does return. and the PLIST needs to be deleted again.

Peter

On 6/27/2023 at 2:44 AM, Elite Exhibits said:

At the office, I have two external monitors - Remotely, only the MacBook Screen. Problem exists in both situations.

Have noted that Save/Open dialog, appearing on the external monitors (...when in use) appear wider than normal, yet they are complete and do not spill off  left / right sides as they do on the MacBook Pro screen.

One of the team has supposed that perhaps this is a function of using the Save/Open dialogs on a large external monitor where the width is appropriately set, but later, when working without the monitor connected, the saved width for the dialog is (naturally) too wide for the laptop display. I came here to re-read your comments to see if this fits your scenario but am unclear what you mean in your last comment. You say the "Problem exists in both situations" –monitor connected or disconnected, but then also say [when the monitor is connected] that [the dialogs] "are complete and do not spill off…"

Can you please clarify?

Also: The .plist files records the size and position of Open/Save panels as pixel coordinates. This adds credit to the above supposition. 

Also: As no one else seems to be experiencing this and as you're using an app that is rarely present for Vectorworks users and as Vectorworks is the only app of yours affected this way, there is a chance this is a software conflict. –Software conflicts aren't necessarily caused by oversights or mistakes by the programmer. Sometimes the way software programs are instructed to behave simply cause issues with others. Vectorworks engineers have said there's not enough data to investigate further at this time so I suggest you consult the developer of Default Folder X, Jon Gotow, especially because (as mentioned here) he has addressed this behaviour in his software before. 

@Jeremy Best Thanks again for the info

Like many other Vectorworks issues, I have given up on this ever being corrected. The only app with Open / Save dialog box size issues (...on my MacBook Pro M1) is VectorWorks -  So ... ¿ What to do ?

Checked again on this issue

No external monitors

Nothing externally connected to the laptop

No "Default Folder" app

Quit VW 2023

Delete ".plist" for VW 2023

Empty Trash

Restarted Computer

Started VW 2023 SP6

...still have Open / Save dialog box size issues.

See attached

Peter

Open_Save Dialog Boxe size Issue_1.pdf

That's some very thorough and scientific measures, Peter. Nice work. 

With those results, I see two possible remaining candidates: 

Assuming:

• A clean installation of Vectorworks has been performed at some point, or if this issue has persisted after upgrading versions while not migrating, AND
  • that Vectorworks pulls certain data from macOS resources when writing new Vectorworks-specific .plist files (data that other apps also don't utilise)…

1. Your installation of macOS might have corrupt data in it. 

or

2. The current Mac User Account (login account) might have corrupt data in it. 

The way to verify #2 is to create a new User Account and see if the issue occurs in there. 

The way to verify #1 is to reinstall macOS –but as I recall you experience this on two computers and only one of them has/current has Default Folder X installed… in which case this is much less likely cause. 

8 hours ago, Elite Exhibits said:

The only app with Open / Save dialog box size issues (...on my MacBook Pro M1) is VectorWorks -  So ... ¿ What to do ?

It is not always indicative of a fault when one program is the only one with an issue. I have issues with Synergy occasionally not receiving (or passing on) clipboard data to my clipboard when Clipboard Center is running, but it is not clear which one is the cause because they both interact with clipboard. Before doing anything more involved than trying a new User Account, I recommend you query Jon Gotow. Again, no one else is reporting this, so the odds are stacked in this direction. 

Hi Jen, I was having the same issue before and figured it was an issue caused by the tabs in the textbox (in my case); can you try pressing Tab at the end of your text so the L shape indentation on top actually goes behind the body text and see if you can copy and paste after that? 

I hope that works, cheers.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:26 PM, Jen Casa said:

Hi,

Sorry first time user at forum..

I tried ctrl+c or right click copy, neither of them work.. but I can paste text from any where else...

Just not copying..

image.png.1c7150934affdfaf10761c91d89166c6.png

@Jen Casa, I've just been online with a user experiencing this exact same problem. The customer has two licenses. License A is installed on one computer and has this issue. License B is installed on two computers but this issue only occurs on one of them. All Windows computers. Have tried everything but a clean installation of Vectorworks at this stage. 

Have determined the issue: 

• Is not fixed by restarting. 
  • Is not file-specific. 
  • Is not due to User Folder data. 
  • Is not remedied by the Vectorworks Updater's 'REPAIR' function. 
  • Does not appear to be due to software conflict (although not fully ruled out). 
  • Is not fixed by a clean installation of most recent graphics card driver. 
  • Is not subject to having multiple displays. 
  • Like 1