Imported Texture Image Resolution and Size

Now I have another issue with imported models into Vectorworks, like SKP files or Rvt files.  When I import and apply textures to different part sometime the colours differ or behave badly.  For example, when enter the symbol edit mode and apply the texture, the texture will look the same but when i exit the symbol the colours are different. Please see image below.

image.thumb.png.52032bb17a10b5cbd21c40c274ba5530.png

Now when exiting:

image.thumb.png.f605459f1dc0d2f9c5650766fcaceaa4.png

image.png.da0bd6f9f1af513f5a29b57ec83a3ff1.png

Which files are best for importing 3d models?  Is there a simple way for editing textures on imported 3d models?

Sketchup is the worst if yuo need to do any manipulation of the object textures. 

Generally, SketchUp files are junk geometry. 

With that said, any mesh object can be pretty tough to work with in VW. VW is known to have difficult texture mapping tools.

in your above image, it looks to me like a mapping issue. Possibly the Stainless texture is getting remapped and tiled.

I might try to use the texture mapping tool to make sure all of the faces that use that texture are mapped to the whole door, not just the individual faces.

OBJ files have been the most reliable for mesh models. though the new USDZ seems like there is potential to replace OBJ if it really catches on.

Best,

Bart

@JackMatsedi

Bart is correct in that normally imported .OBJ files retain decent texture mapping.

The only other import that does that is .3DS as of VW 2022. I know VW 2023 has included USDZ, but since I do not use 2023 so I have no thoughts on that.

IF you are downloading .OBJ files from wherever, make sure that there is a .MTL file that comes with the .OBJ...if not, then that is where there could be some texture mapping hell 🙂

Oh, one other thought...a good solution regarding your doubled up texture for the digital looking item, is to simply make an image prop from the image, then you can scale it very simply, and place it just a micron tap in front of the fridge body located exactly where you want it.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Oh, one other thought...a good solution regarding your doubled up texture for the digital looking item, is to simply make an image prop from the image, then you can scale it very simply, and place it just a micron tap in front of the fridge body located exactly where you want it.

I do this exact thing all the time

• Like 1
On 6/12/2023 at 2:27 PM, JackMatsedi said:

When I import and apply textures to different part sometime the colours differ or behave badly.

@JackMatsedi Check that all the geometry is imported as the same type - Our workflow has us converting to all generic solids for the different applications in use. I have also noted that directional textures cause this malfeasance.

... as @BartHays notes above, try a Reverse / Mirror of the texture direction on one section. (Should not be this complex, but it is.)

Peter

Not to continue this thread ad infinitum, but as a quick example....say you download a painting you like that you wish to include in an interior rendering. Using the image prop approach allows perfect control relating to the overall size of the image...a painting in this case. it will maintain the aspect ratio of the image...or not, if you need to tweak that aspect ratio for whatever reason.

IF you just tried to apply that painting image as a texture directly to some 3d surface you need to fuss with how that texture (an image in this case) will repeat on the object. That can be ....irritating to say the least.

Note the Picasso on the wall...:-)

Screenshot2023-06-14at6_27_16AM.thumb.png.1edc5900b06b14389fa613251f79e1f5.png

• Like 1

@kevinK

Do you have trouble with the image prop not taking on the lighting of the scene? My experience is that they tend to look like poorly photoshopped plastic overlays if you don't assign them reflectivity via making a texture.

Obviously, your Piccaso looks very good.

Many thanks,

Bart