Turntable - Animating object

2 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Most users don't consider Vectorworks to be a good 3D modelling package, when it is one of the best available.

Paul, this thread is about animation, not modeling...

I think we can all agree that Vectorworks is not an animation tool and just includes a few amateur tools that serve mostly to aggravate.

In terms of modeling, it is very good for AEC modeling.

However, it's never going to be the go to tool for real industrial design.

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate your point of view and the others.  Yes, in terms of animation, it has the basics only.

I quickly ran through the Animation tools in 2022, good improvements.  Have an idea on the wobbling.  

So, just a question, no heat on this.  What do you or any others (that want to chime in) see as an Industrial design software.....and if you have a "why" to go with your thoughts, please do.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That's brilliant Michael and so easy thanks!

Is there anyway to specify the degrees eg 180º or 360º etc, and/or specify the number of revolutions?. It seemed to finish with my file with the revolve facing upstage. Is there a way to reset it to the start position?

Also, odd things are happening in the Shaded render in my file with the walls 'flashing' and disappearing. Is there anyway for the render to hold? It's not the lights or Renderworks background.

Cheers,

Peter

865910821_SpinMerevolve.vwx

• Like 1

It's flashing because VW has to redraw the walls, extrudes, windows, doors, etc every increment of the rotation.

Make everything inside the group a symbol and it will spin smoothly.

Yes.  Defining the rotation is probably possible.  I'm actually working on a way to have multiple objects spinning at different rates in different directions.

I wonder if this is how @Julian Carr got started with animation works --  Sitting in his kitchen making things spin and laughing his butt off.

• Like 2

Run the script.  

There is a script palette called "Adventures in Spinning".

Inside that there are two scripts.  

1. Multi Spin w/ Record will look for objects with an attached record called "roundNround".  The settings in the record determines how it spins.
  2. Spin This will spin any object named "Spin Me"

To run the script just double click on the script in the script palette.

Hit the space bar or any key except a modifier key to make it stop.

🙂 

I knew exactly what you meant!

I'm sure it's possible.  

Maybe if I revisit this I'll add Peter's suggestion for a stopping point and your suggestion for acceleration and deceleration.

But there is no guarantee.  I'm just messing around with this.  This is trickier than I expected it to be.  To trick VW into doing this you have to rotate every object by however many degrees then force a redraw of the entire drawing.  I haven't tested it, but I suspect that 2023 SP4 would run this script MUCH better than VW 2020 or 2021.  And for reasons I don't totally understand, the procedure that calculates the revolve increments and forces the redraw doesn't like logical tests.  (IF a thing has a specific value THEN do this).  My scripts are often littered with IF/THEN statements and iterative procedures called FOR loops (which also don't play well in the central procedure).  So it's been a fun little brain teaser for me to write in a way I don't normally write.

Maybe Julian will fix it for us 🙂 

Additionally, let's not forget how crazy this little animation concept can become 

[See attached Pacman project from 2015]

Controls:

W : Up

A : Left

S : Down

D : Right

Space: Stop

Esc: Quit

I still strongly believe this deserved to be in the included sample files of VW by default, perhaps @Peter Neufeld. the AU/NZ VW2023 needs to be rebundled. 😅 

@michaelk - Pacman definitely requires your tagline of "Badly scripted by James Russell" 

JRussell - PacMan 2015.vwx

Edited by James Russell
Controls kept turning into Emojis
  • Laugh 1