file won't oppen

doberman69

Question

I'm trying to open a file. The file I want to open when opening the file directory within Vectorworks is showing up as greyed out. For instance the file named "SederCase.vwx" in the screenshot I've enclosed. If I leave Vectorworks and click on the file outside of vectorworks to open it then it will work. But within Vectorworks I see what I see in the enclosed screenshot but can't open that particular file mentioned above. Why are only some of the VWX files greyed out while others are not?

Vworks 2023 version SP4

MacOS 13.2.1

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 2.01.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 2.05.58 PM.png

15 answers to this question

Nope, the file has never moved from it's location. In fact it's many files and never the same ones. As you can see in the screenshot. All of my files are on the desktop of the machine I'm working on. So not a server issue either. I'm using the latest version of Vworks and some of the files are older versions but those I can open. But not always.

I sometimes get greyed-out VWX files when browsing to open a file within Vectorworks + have wondered what it means but I am still able to click on the file + open it so have always just ignored it... You're saying that in your case you can't select it + open it?

• Like 1

This is primarily a user to user support forum, but occasionally Vectorworks Employees chime in.

I am a volunteer moderator. I am not compensated by VW for my services.

If you want direct support, you need to contact Technical Support directly at 877-202-4059 or via the Support tab of the Customer Portal link in the Help menu.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, doberman69 said:

Am I speaking to someone who is just a user of Vworks or someone who works for vworks?

Unless you see the words ‘Vectorworks, Inc. Employee’ under the user profile picture (located at the top left of every post), you can assume the person replying is a non-employee Vw user.

16767E16-DEF0-4B22-B355-DFF4D5D2ED34.jpeg.9265f68a1e5faad4846a5457c7dbf6ad.jpeg

It doesn’t take long on these Vw User Forums to realize that even though most of the forum members are ‘just users of Vectorworks’, they know an incredible amount about Vw and happily offer their time and expertise. Especially gurus like @Pat Stanford.

• Like 1

Are the greyed files stored in the cloud? When you open them from the folder, they download first.

I use Dropbox on a Mac, and often files I’ve not worked on for a wee while get removed locally.

But I have the same experience as Tom W. Often grey files just open directly from VW

• Like 2