Extrudes and solid additions don't have a 2D fill in Top/Plan

I drew some 3D polygons and extruded them to make some monolithic stone steps. They render in 3D with the texture I've chosen but in Top/Plan they don't have a fill. I checked to make sure the profile is "closed" and still nothing. Do I have to create a 2D overlay for these to show a solid fill in Top/Plan? 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, JonKoch said:

Do I have to create a 2D overlay for these to show a solid fill in Top/Plan? 

Yes, you have to do something if you want to have filled 3D objects show in Top/Plan view. Pure 3D objects will always show in Wireframe in Top/Plan. 

Depending on what you need from the objects you can make Hybrid Symbols (separate Top/Plan and 3D views), Auto Hybrids (Top/Plan view calculated from 3D) or use other existing Hybrid Objects like Slabs, Roors, Walls instead.

• Like 1

Question:

So what is the magic setting that actually shows the 2D Cut Plane component of an Auto Hybrid the way the 2D component shows on a traditional 2D/3D Hybrid ...

VW/RW Help states -   ....Uses the fill attributes of the original converted object(s) for the cut plane 

or is it 

...you have to do something if you want to have filled 3D objects show in Top/Plan view. Pure 3D objects will always show in Wireframe in Top/Plan. 

Created a Square (Screen Plane)

Assigned an Image to it in the Attributes Pallet

Looks as expected in Top/Plan

Extruded it

Assigned a similar Texture to the Extrude in the OIP

In a rendered 3D View, Looks as expected

Turned this into an Auto Hybrid

Set the Cut Plane part way up the Extrude and checked: Use 2D attributes ... 

In Top/Plan view there is only the traditional Wireframe view of a 3D object, no 2D Plan View as expected with a traditional 2D/3D Hybrid.

Making this Auto Hybrid a Symbol does NOT have the desired 3D rendered view and Top/Plan VIew appearance

If I go back to the beginning and duplicate the 2D Square, then combine with the Textured Extrude,  ...make that Symbol, it behaves as expected for a Hybrid in both a 3D rendered view and Top/Plan Views

Suggestions are always appreciated 

Peter

I don't have a way to run 2020 right now so I can't test.

In 2023 the Autohybrid the 2D appearance settings look like:

image.png.5badf4b8a00629012d696076ee58f9ed.png

If you are in Top/Plan it will use the settings you have set for Cut Plane.  None will have it show as Wireframe. Use 2D attributes of Contained Objects will use the same Pen and Fill settings as the object(s) you made the Auto Hybrid from. Use Class Attributes will use the attributes of the class you have set in this window (or the setting for the contained objects classes).

The Cut Plane elevation does not apply to Top/Plan, only to Section/Horizontal Section viewports. But the settings used for the Cut Plane apply to both.

I think.

Pat

As always thank you ... (Same dialog as in VW/RW 2020

Except it does not work as expected - see attached

¿ Assume that the next comment is, only works with Attribute Fill Colors NOT images ?

Not what I would think based on reading the HELP ... (Uses the fill attributes of the original converted object(s) for the cut plane)

Peter

Attribute Fill is Image Auto Hybrid.pdf

Pat

Thanks, Except it Doesn't ...

Was attempting to show that an Image was the Attribute Fill on the Original (Converted) Object

The VW/RW 2020 HELP file states: Uses the fill attributes of the original converted object(s) for the cut plane

... I am going to assume that Image fill does NOT work with Auto Hybrid, the way it does with a traditional 2D/3D Hybrid Symbol..

So it goes ...

Peter 

10 hours ago, Peter Vandewalle said:

If I get I right, you're trying to draw 3D shapes that are mainly horizontal volumes. Since you just extrude a 2D poly...

Why don't you try using a slab? You'll find the slab command in the architecture menu. Just select the 2D shape and 'create slab...'

I took it @Elite Exhibits was asking why Auto Hybrids don't show the 2D Attributes of the Contained Object(s) when the attribute is an Image Fill. If you switch to Use Class 2D Attributes settings + the class fill is an Image Fill then it does display. So something not quite right going on. I think this is what they are attempting to highlight.

8 hours ago, Tom W. said:

If you switch to Use Class 2D Attributes settings + the class fill is an Image Fill then it does display.

Tom W, thanks for the above clue -  

The magic setting that actually shows the 2D Cut Plane component of an Auto Hybrid, is...

While the HELP file states: The auto hybrid’s settings provide complete control over its 2D display attributes, with separate, classed parameters for the appearance of the cut plane and extents below and above the cut plane.

From what I worked out, (This example, is so an Image can be the 2D Top/Plan representation of the 3D in an Auto Hybrid...), set up the Image and the Class first, then assign this Class to the basic 2D geometry, then (for example) extrude the 2D geometry, then convert this extrude to an Auto Hybrid. 

Oddly, in this case, the original 2D object can be in one class, (This is what I refer to as the determining Class) the extrude in another class, and the Auto Hybrid in a third. This could allow the 3D component of the Auto Hybrid to be turned off in other than Top/Plan, while the 2D component still appears as expected when the drawing is in Top/Plan. That original 2D assigned Class (...what I refer to as the determining Class) sets up the 3D in that it is the Class assigned Texture in a rendered view and the 2D Image in Top/Plan View

Example Attached:

Upper 4 Auto Hybrids are on one Design Layer - Shown in an Iso View /  Rendered Open GL -

Lower 4 Auto Hybrids (Same 4 as above...) on a different Design Layer - Shown in Top/Plan View

All 4 Auto Hybrids are in the same class.

Left most Auto Hybrid has the original 2D component and the 3D component assigned to a different Classes

2nd Auto Hybrid has the original 2D component assigned to the determining Class and the 3D component assigned to a different Class

3rd Auto Hybrid has both the original 2D & 3D component assigned to the determining Class

Right most  - Same as #3 above, except the texture of the Extrude inside the Auto Hybrid, is applied direct from the RM, not via the assigned Class.

Some of this is also available (?) thru the 2D Appearance Dialog - Possible that the 2D Cut Plane appearance is assigned directly with the Class Drop Down, though the Fill & Pen buttons may not change this selection any further. 

(Warning: Don't keep the Display Setting on 2D and the wonder where the Auto Hybrid went switching to a 3D view ... )

Peter

Auto Hybrid 4 Cubes.png

Can you please confirm what you did in the third auto hybrid?

Does the class you have assigned to the 2D and 3D parts of the auto hybrid have both a 2D Image Fill and a Texture assigned?

What exactly is the difference between the settings for the third and fourth options?

Or can you post your test file?

Pat

File attached ...

44 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Does the class you have assigned to the 2D and 3D parts of the auto hybrid have both a 2D Image Fill and a Texture assigned?

(third auto hybrid) - Does the class you have assigned to the 2D and 3D parts of the auto hybrid have both a 2D Image Fill and a Texture assigned? - Affirmative

Fourth option - Edit the AutoHybrid and assign a Texture to the Extured (...that is inside this AutoHybrid) directly from the RM

(FYI - For simplicity, Purged attached VWX 2020 file and eliminated all except one IMAGE file)

- Peter

Auto Hybrid 4 Cubes Posted.vwx

Pat & Others ...

What I am attempting to discern... 

¿ How do you control the 2D attributes in an Auto Hybrid ?

The 2D Appearance Dialog Box, would lead one to believe that the 2D Attributes of Contained Object(s) ie: the applied IMAGE would be visible, when selecting that option. The "HELP note" at the bottom of the 2D Appearance Dialog Box,  (Large print giveth, small print taketh away...) appears to reference from which it was sectioned.  (?)

Assume this is based on the Elevation number and option.

The traditional Hybrid has been an object that has an appearance in Top/Plan without the need to render, while potentially having a different appearance in 3D.

¿ Is the Auto Hybrid miss named in that it works in a Viewport differently than a Design Layer ?   (a test Design Layer / Viewport look the same in Top/Plan...)

If you edit the Auto Hybrid, and adjust the Attributes on the base geometry to look as desired, the Auto Hybrid does NOT show this alteration in the Top/Plan VIew (?)

The IMAGE in this case.

Peter

4 minutes ago, Elite Exhibits said:

What I am attempting to discern... 

¿ How do you control the 2D attributes in an Auto Hybrid ?

The 2D Appearance Dialog Box, would lead one to believe that the 2D Attributes of Contained Object(s) ie: the applied IMAGE would be visible, when selecting that option.

As per my previous posts it seems that there is a bug here, in that it's not letting you apply an Image Fill to the 2D geometry via the '2D Attributes of the Contained Object(s)' settings. You can however if you do it via the 'Use Class 2D Attributes' settings. In my quick tests the same was the case with Tile Fills. I believe there was another bug to do with Material attributes as well so not sure if it's part + parcel...

I don't think it is a bug, but rather a limitation.

Since Image Fills can only work with 2D objects, and the AutoHybrid is looking at the 3D object to generate the Top/Plan view, it is not seeing the Image Fill setting of the object.

Even if you set the Attributes to be Image Fill, the object is still remembering the Solid Fill it was set to and using that.

The Class Override works because the class can actually be set to use an Image Fill.

Does that make any sense???

• Love 1