Lauren

Lauren87

Question

Hi guys,

I am trying to open a file from the educational version / design suite 2022 onto Architects 2023.

The file does not open properly. The floors of the rooms have disappeared, some textures are missing and also a lot of detail has gone.

The old version is on a PC and the new version is on a mac if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance for your help. 🙏

Lauren

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum.

PC to Mac makes no difference.  

If you are able to open it, it should work. 

Have you tried opening it in 2022?  There were some changes in walls and lights, but I haven't seen those changes cause any problems.

I wonder if there is some corrupted geometry that didn't make the transition?

Feel free to post either the original file or the updated file or both or send it to me in a PM.  

Hi , Thank you both for reply. i have a window that comes up before i open it saying "this file was created with an older version of Vectorworks. it will be converted and opened with the new name....

then goes on to say the data contained in this file may only be used in other watermarked documents?

Sound like a simple fix? or just not going to work?!

I am studying but my director at work wants me to use the architect version pro that we have at work and I don't want to start this project from scratch again!!! my educational license runs out in 4 days!!!

16 minutes ago, Lauren87 said:

I am studying but my director at work wants me to use the architect version pro that we have at work and I don't want to start this project from scratch again!!! my educational license runs out in 4 days!!!

This is why you are not supposed to do pro work on educational licenses.  You might try calling Vectorworks and see if they will convert it for you since your employer presumably has a legal license.

Hi jeff,

Yes we have the pro architects version at work, I was unaware i would not be able to open file, I thought it was just the sheet layers and printing which was water marked. Been studying at home and putting in a lot of hours but quite pleased what i had achieved so far.....im just getting used to mac so actually preferred to use my ed license on windows. Didn't really give it too much thought. I get it now. just frustrating!Yeah its worth a try, nothing spectacular just i have worked so hard on this one and gutted!!  

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Lauren87 Just so that you are aware all the resources in the educational file are watermarked and if you use any of those resources inn a professional document the professional document will become watermarked and become an educational file. You will be notified when this happens but always use caution when working with educational files.

You should be able to use your professional license on both Mac and Windows. We allow for 2 installations of the software but you can only run one at any time.

For the US, and many other regions, professional version can open an educational file and the conversion from older versions should be the same.
(Some regions distribute an educational version that can not be opened by the professional version.)
The issue you are experiencing would also likely happen in the current educational version.
I'd be curious to see what the file looks like in the original version before it's translated to the newer version.