Don't understand

I've spent 2 days watching videos and I still don't understand, I've used lots of CAD / CAM software over the years, but this thing, I'm trying to help my student daughter understand it, her college don't seem to understand it either, and of course send them away to figure it out for themselves.

If we draw a simple 3d cube, then draw a circle on a face, then cut a hole into the cube, the cube and the hole become one and we cant delete the hole without deleting the hole and cube, is that right?????

VW does a lot of different modeling options, but what you are trying to do is Solid Modeling. After you cut the hole the object should be called a Solid Subtraction in the Object Info Palette.

You can edit the history of the object by using the Edit Solid command from the Modify menu.

Edit Solid and you should now see the cube and the object that was created to cut the hole. Select that object and delete it or move it to where you need it to be. Then click the Exit Solid Subtraction button at the upper right of the screen.

If you model more steps you can continue to select objects and Edit Solid to get as far back in the history as you need to go.

Nothing we can do about her university not helping, but Universtiy.Vectorworks.Net has as lot of good videos on how to accomplish things in VW.

Also, please don't assume that you will do things in VW the same way you do them in other programs. That is a path to frustration.

HTH.

• Like 2

@richardanderson – To address your specific scenario, this is occurring due the current MODES that are selected when you're drawing the circle. In the mode bar there are two icons that you'll want to take a look at, and alway be aware of whether these buttons are ON vs OFF. Perhaps turning off the last mode with make things work more like you're expecting (I personally leave it off too).

2107882993_Screenshot2023-02-06at8_14_30AM.thumb.png.d41a9dfd768bee4f8c4d9acbfa20254e.png

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3

richardanderson

I suggest to people starting out - play with the 2D tools and functions - then learn how you get from 2D to 3D (Like a 2D square extruded creates a 3D cube)  - then see how easy it is to edit the 3D cube back into the 2D square you created it from. (See the attached) When you actually need sophistication in 3D then life is more complicated and requires (as others have suggested...) some patient learning. (See attached)Square.pdf

Peter

Square v2015.vwx

• Like 1