Graphic legends

Ben3B

Hello I'm learning graphic legends And I ve questions I'll ask it here 🙂

Is it ( or will be) possible to show (as for report) image by datavis ?

because in report we dont have class gestion so it is not god for img ...

One other question is for text and count , but I ve found we can add dynamic text in img layout so it s ok 🙂

3 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

And I hope I have not broken my NDA by describing that Beta Testing takes place. 😉. 😂

lol beta test are everywhere ( i was wysiwyg beta tester before switching to Vectorworks) and often casual user are betatester too but they dont no they are 🤣

I've an other topic on instrument summary https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/103733-instrument-summary-problems/#comment-452583

So we speak but no answer 😉

• Will Graphic legend replace instrument summary ?
  • Will image by datavisualization be possible ?
  • Will filter by position be possible ( I know it's possible to reproduce with a viewport with only one position inside and filter by vewport) ?

More questions soon 😉

• 1 month later...

I've got questions too.

Have I understood it right, that if I want an image of something in my Graphic Legend Cells, that something can't just be anything, it has to be something that fits one of these "display modes":

1176763_Screenshot2023-01-28at19_05_56.jpg.37343efbd0162ae6118878b8baa9aacd.jpg

And "Hybrid Object Display" means, presumably, a display mode that can display "hybrid objects".

"Hybrid objects" seems to include symbols. So, I can have an image of a symbol at least.

But does this mean that I can't have an image of, say, an extrude, or a generic solid?

Note to VW Help section writers - I can't see anywhere that explains what exactly these "Display Modes" are. I can't see anywhere that clearly defines what a "hybrid object" is. How are we supposed to know what "Component Display" is? Component of what? What's a "Vertical Wall" - is it different from a wall? Aren't all walls vertical? Etc Etc

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 1

Having a look into Graphic legends myself my understanding and I might be wrong though:

if you had multiple extrudes the only thing you can do with them for listing off into a graphics legend is display what foreground or background fill or any of the image attributes or pen display or properties of the extrude there isn't a way I can see of listing extrusion lengths off unless you create them as hybrid symbols.

The pulldown you posted @line-weight  you might already know this but you are correct it has to fit one of those object modes apart from if you choose legend type object attributes instead of object, if you pick object attributes you can list materials, textures, fill colours and everything else related to image / appearance.

The object list above I can see working is as follows:

1. Hybrid Object = 2D/3D Symbol Hybrid just means the 2D/3D Symbol could be a door, window, furniture item anything that is a symbol or some built in items (best to test a single item by filtering it to one item first but very handy for displaying most items)

576584916_Doorhybridsymbol.png.05ed6c109501bebd1e2f45de14742883.png

2. Vertical wall = as described any vertical wall takeoff that you would want from any of the walls in your file it is created to show vertically up and down the page as image below

441683416_verticalwall.png.c9846c199130d8aa5a5243a5edd05457.png

3. Component can be a wall item by component or anything that is component based that you can break down, handy for dimensioning wall parts (others may know additional uses for this)

component.png.445c6f8bb987a7f79bcc36290f1cc2c8.png

hardscape is as it says and planting is any plant from the database you can list from basically an image of a plant and descriptions etc you can put into a legend.

I only use graphic legends for furniture items but I am seeing how it can be quite handy.

they are very powerful but need a little more work and they would be perfect.

• Like 1

Thanks @TSG-Sim, that clarifies a few things.

A shame that anything we want a graphic representation of, either has to be a special type of object or a symbol.

This confused me for some time, as I could not work out why nothing was appearing in my cells. The fact that when you are filtering the source objects, lets you specifically choose all sorts of object types that aren't symbols, gives the impression that you can include these things, otherwise why would you be able to filter for them! Sounds like the answer is that you can include them, it's just that the "graphic legend" can only display non-graphic information about them.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/28/2023 at 7:15 PM, line-weight said:

"Hybrid objects" seems to include symbols. So, I can have an image of a symbol at least.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:48 PM, TSG-Sim said:

1. Hybrid Object = 2D/3D Symbol Hybrid just means the 2D/3D Symbol could be a door, window, furniture item anything that is a symbol or some built in items (best to test a single item by filtering it to one item first but very handy for displaying most items)

It seems strange that 2D-only symbols can't be displayed in Graphic Legends. I have just spent 20 mins trying to figure out why a particular electrical symbol wasn't showing on my legend + it was because it was my one 2D-only electrical symbol whereas all the others were hybrid symbols. For a long time I used these symbols without a 3D component + I'm sure many people would also draw up electrical layouts in 2D only so seems a bit of a flaw to not be able to create graphic legends for such drawings?

In my case I had to add a false 3D component (a 3D loci) in order to get it to display. Presumably the same thing occurs if you have a 3D-only symbol you want to represent in a legend e.g. the 3D solids that you mention @line-weight: not only would you have to create a symbol from said solid you'd also have to give it a false 2D component in order for the 3D component to display?

Well, the one use case where I've been thinking, I can definitely use graphic legends for that, is the next time I'm doing an electrical layout plan. And yes, I generally make these as 2d-only symbols. So it does seem rather strange that these would be excluded.

I always have a background anxiety about symbols anyway, because I am never quite sure if 2d symbols are a fundamentally different thing to hybrid symbols (rather than just the same thing but without a blank 3d component) and vice versa. And each time I get this message I look at it for a while and start to get a headache.

787227930_Screenshot2023-04-10at09_40_12.jpg.0032dff42c37ef65869ab6d6f0cbcb27.jpg

I think it's talking about plan view, not top/plan view, is it?

I'd rather we just had one type of symbol: with a 2d and 3d component, either of which can simply be empty/blank. The 2d component appears in top/plan or annotations space, the 3d components appear in any view that's a projection of 3d geometry. That's unless it's something like a horizontal section viewport where there are controls to choose one or the other.

• 8 months later...
On 12/19/2022 at 8:02 AM, Ben59 said:

Hello I'm learning graphic legends And I ve questions I'll ask it here 🙂

Is it ( or will be) possible to show (as for report) image by datavis ?

because in report we dont have class gestion so it is not god for img ...

One other question is for text and count , but I ve found we can add dynamic text in img layout so it s ok 🙂

So no news in 2024?