Viewports displaying content outside of crop area during view changes

JoeTomp

Question

When zooming in/out or panning around a sheet layer, the viewports are displaying content outside of their crop areas, which makes navigating the sheet layer very distracting.

I can update each viewport individually which stops this happening, but if I navigate away from the sheet layer then back again, they continue to do this. Not a sustainable solution if I have lots of viewports, especially as I have to do them one by one.

Any suggestions of ways to stop this happening would be great. Working on 2021, using a Lenovo Thinkpad.

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello,

If you check out this Knowledgebase article it will show you how to get a small text file called a DxDiag file. Check out the driver date for the GPU. We recommend going directly to the GPU manufacturer's website and update the driver from there rather than from within Windows itself as the manufacturers' are more up to date. This is especially important for new graphic cards as new drivers can be issued monthly until they sort out the bugs. I think the majority of issues on Windows are due to out of date GPU drivers.

The other issue is the amount of video memory ('VRAM') that your GPU has - this is especially important if you have multiple screens. Please see the system requirements for further information. As always make sure you have a good back up strategy and consult your local technical support office if you continue to have problems.

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 8.32.42 pm.png

Cheers,

Peter

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello,

In support in Australia I have not come across this much, if hardly at all. I'm not saying this is not an issue of course but it is uncommon in my experience. Either way it's obviously a graphics issue. The original poster JoeTomp should contact the UK tech support crew.

Cheers,

Peter

On 9/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, Jeff Prince said:

post your file and let’s have a look.  What version are you using?

I'm afraid my files are protected by an NDA so I can't post this specific file. Trying to "recreate" the issue with a new test file never yields the same results.

@line-weight come to think of it, you might be right in that it happens more frequently if I navigate back and forth from sheet to model space using the "edit design layer" in the drop down... 

Close and re-open seems to fix it but yes... it's very frustrating. 

18 minutes ago, archdaly said:

I'm afraid my files are protected by an NDA so I can't post this specific file. Trying to "recreate" the issue with a new test file never yields the same results.

@line-weight come to think of it, you might be right in that it happens more frequently if I navigate back and forth from sheet to model space using the "edit design layer" in the drop down... 

Close and re-open seems to fix it but yes... it's very frustrating. 

just delete the stuff that is covered by the NDA, purge, and save as a new file.  You’ll have to verify the issue still happens on the cleaned file and tell us what version of VWX you are using.

Thanks @Jeff Prince but unfortunately my file and all of the content within IS what is protected. Removing objects so that it's unrecognizable more often then not "fixes" the problem... not a helpful fix cause it means deleting my work! 

I know it's frustrating. I run into this NDA issue a lot. 

I'm running 2020 on MacOS 10.15.7 with. AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT graphics card 8GB of VRAM.

42 minutes ago, archdaly said:

Thanks @Jeff Prince but unfortunately my file and all of the content within IS what is protected. Removing objects so that it's unrecognizable more often then not "fixes" the problem... not a helpful fix cause it means deleting my work! 

I know it's frustrating. I run into this NDA issue a lot. 

I'm running 2020 on MacOS 10.15.7 with. AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT graphics card 8GB of VRAM.

Good luck with your goose chase 😉