Subscription only licensing

Got this bit of email today,

"Hello Rudy,

Your Service Select membership is set to renew on January 1, 2023.

After January 31, 2023, you will not be able to reinstate your Service Select. You will continue to have access to your perpetual license(s) but will no longer be able to upgrade them to access the current version of Vectorworks. After this date, to upgrade to the current version of Vectorworks your only option will be to purchase a subscription license."

I am so sorry to read this. I left Autodesk because of subscription only licensing. 

And before you say it, I don't care if it has worked for Adobe. I will not accept subscription only software.

Now keeping an eye out for other options.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

That message is worded quite confusingly.

I think what it means is:

Your Service Select membership is set to renew on January 1, 2023 [AND THINGS WILL CONTINUE AS YOU'RE USED TO IF YOU KEEP PAYING THE YEARLY SERVICE SELECT FEE].

After January 31, 2023, you will not be able to reinstate your Service Select [IF YOU LET IT LAPSE].

[IF YOU DON'T PAY YOU SERVICE SELECT FEE BY THE DUE DATE,] you will continue to have access to your perpetual license(s) but will no longer be able to upgrade them to access the current version of Vectorworks. After this date, to upgrade to the current version of Vectorworks your only option will be to purchase a subscription license [ASSUMING YOU'VE LET YOUR SERVICE SELECT LAPSE].

@JuanP - is my interpretation correct? The way the original email reads, it sort of sounds like active Service Select members won't get upgrades to the current version. I would love clarification on this, because now I'm not sure what the truth is...

BTW, @rudybeuc@gmail.com, there's a longer thread here if you're looking for more discourse: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/99556-vectorworks-abandoning-perpetual-licences/

• Like 2
1 hour ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Got this bit of email today,

"Hello Rudy,

Your Service Select membership is set to renew on January 1, 2023.

After January 31, 2023, you will not be able to reinstate your Service Select. You will continue to have access to your perpetual license(s) but will no longer be able to upgrade them to access the current version of Vectorworks. After this date, to upgrade to the current version of Vectorworks your only option will be to purchase a subscription license."

I am so sorry to read this. I left Autodesk because of subscription only licensing. 

And before you say it, I don't care if it has worked for Adobe. I will not accept subscription only software.

Now keeping an eye out for other options.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Yes that email you received is very poorly written. @ndavison - perhaps you could clarify what was meant in the email that @rudybeuc@gmail.com received? 

It is also buried in the long thread that Andy posted, but here is a FAQ page on the new Purchasing Policy: 

https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/company/purchasing-policy#faq

53 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

That message is worded quite confusingly.

I think what it means is:

@JuanP - is my interpretation correct? The way the original email reads, it sort of sounds like active Service Select members won't get upgrades to the current version. I would love clarification on this, because now I'm not sure what the truth is...

BTW, @rudybeuc@gmail.com, there's a longer thread here if you're looking for more discourse: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/99556-vectorworks-abandoning-perpetual-licences/

Yes it's confusing, and i'm a bit ill right now which doesn't help things. I'm going to reassess this tomorrow morning. I guess I missed the "if you don't renew now" bit.

Ok yeah it is a bit confusing, and I'm mildly ill which doesn't help things. I missed the "if you don't renew" bit. 

I'm going to reassess this tomorrow.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Simple version. I am sure VW will correct me.

If you have a perpetual license AND an active Service Select as of the cut off date (I thought it was 12/31/22) you will be able to renew the Service Select annually.

If you don't have Service Select as of the cut off date OR you let your Service Select lapse, you will not be able to renew or add Service Select.

After the cut off date you will not be able to purchase a new perpetual license from VW.

After the cut off date you will not be able to add Service Select to a perpetual license you purchase from another user.

After the cut off date the only option for new licenses from VW will be subscription which will offer the same benefits as Service Select.

HTH

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@rudybeuc@gmail.com@Pat Stanford @rDesign,

Yes, this email is specific to a customer who has a perpetual license with an upcoming renewal. It is reminding them/ensuring they know about our changes and letting them know that they need to renew their Service Select agreement on time in order to maintain the benefits they have and be able to continue renewing in the future. As @JuanP mentioned above, nothing has changed from our prior communications. Before the change to selling only subscriptions, we have allowed customers to reinstate terminated Service Select agreements months and since the pandemic even years later but that will no longer be an option with the new changes so it is important for Service Select agreement holders to communicate timely before their agreement cancels to let us know their intention to renew or not. 

We'll take a look at the email copy to see if it can be made more clear for future emails, this is a direct email focused specifically on a customer's specific circumstance and renewal date. 

• Like 3