Buying - Selling licenses Info

Well my last one year free license will be expiring in a few months and with little work to do I am caught between a rock and a hard spot.  I don't have enough work (I am well beyond retirement age) to justify the expense or the time to learn a new system.  But I do have the occasional job or need to access an old one.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just adding to the replies of extreme disappointment, as someone who spent a substantial sum, as a young designer over ten years ago, for a perpetual license and service select through the years - for updates that have added relatively little improvement to most of my workflow but were required because otherwise I couldn't easily exchange files with people using ANY other year of the software - and now all of that investment we've made in the software is essentially - ignored, gone?!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Dan Hoffman said:

Just adding to the replies of extreme disappointment, as someone who spent a substantial sum, as a young designer over ten years ago, for a perpetual license and service select through the years - for updates that have added relatively little improvement to most of my workflow but were required because otherwise I couldn't easily exchange files with people using ANY other year of the software - and now all of that investment we've made in the software is essentially - ignored, gone?!

All the complaints don't seem to be having an impact on the marketing department.  I suppose they know what they are doing after all having started around the same time as ACAD they are number one in the market right -- 

6 minutes ago, Helm said:

All the complaints don't seem to be having an impact on the marketing department.  I suppose they know what they are doing after all having started around the same time as ACAD they are number one in the market right -- 

Yeah, I guess this is mostly just venting, doubt that their marketing dept is going to change anything - but at this point basically everyone with whom I collaborate in Vectorworks has had the same experience and frustrations, and the only thing keeping us in VW-world is that it's what we're all used to using....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As far as I know, there is currently no way to purchase VW2023 with Service Select. As of January 1, the only way to get a new license is vis Subscription. 

If you buy a used license from someone with Service Select the Service Select license is not transferable.

The license will continue to work, but will not be eligible for future upgrades. I don't know if that includes bug fixes or not.

36 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

As far as I know, there is currently no way to purchase VW2023 with Service Select. As of January 1, the only way to get a new license is vis Subscription. 

If you buy a used license from someone with Service Select the Service Select license is not transferable.

The license will continue to work, but will not be eligible for future upgrades. I don't know if that includes bug fixes or not.

If I do a 1-year subscription and then do not renew the next year it appears I can "Park the subscription".  I lose the benefits of Service Select, but the software will continue to function at its last version.  If I want to upgrade I will have to buy a new subscription.

"4. Parking a License on your Contract

If you no longer wish to upgrade a license every year you can park your license, which freezes it at its current version. You won’t have to pay for that license on your renewal each year; however, parked licenses and their assigned users are not entitled to the benefits of Vectorworks Service Select. Once parked, you will not be able to unpark a license or access the Service Select benefits (including access to the latest version) on a parked license in the future."

Am I reading this right?

Edit.... I see now that I am not reading this right.  Looks like used is my only option.

Edited by KevinF

Yes contact sales.  But what I understand is that you can't buy a perpetual license in the US but if you have one you can subscribe to service select.  It seems if you park it you are stuck at where you left it.  The only way is to buy a monthly or yearly subscription.  And if you but a used license it is only good for the version you bought it can't be upgraded.  Is that correct?  If you are in the EU you can still buy a perpetual license until I think September.  But the prices are very high.

3 hours ago, Helm said:

If you are in the EU you can still buy a perpetual license until I think September.

Is this true?  Of course the UK is stupidly not in the EU any more, but I thought the deadline for new perpetual licenses was 31 December 2023, and that Service Select is no longer available because it can only be purchased with a perpetual license unless you are currently a service select customer and looking forward to your renewal.

AFAIK Computerworks, vendor for germany, austria and switzerland

did not yet made a decision or announced subscription only.

But I am pretty sure it is just a matter of time until they follow

subscription only at one point.

I am bound to their decisions, although like some here I use the US version.

I an not sure about how they deal with the non-localized version.

Not sure if I could buy another used VW 2023 US license and still start

a new VSS.

1 hour ago, shorter said:

Is this true?  Of course the UK is stupidly not in the EU any more, but I thought the deadline for new perpetual licenses was 31 December 2023, and that Service Select is no longer available because it can only be purchased with a perpetual license unless you are currently a service select customer and looking forward to your renewal.

You are probably right about the deadline I was just quoting from my poor memory.  I have gotten a quote from the Italian vendor so I know it is possible.  Also it is available in Spain and I think both have English versions.  

• 1 month later...

Hello @JuanP

Could you please clarify/confirm, for all those selling and buying, if the Transfer Fee levied in the UK, is still applicable, and also how much it is and who should pay it?

It was £150 + vat, and was collected by Vectorworks.

We would normally recommend the buyer pays the transfer fee as they are then certain that it has been paid and the license is officially theirs.

Also, if a UK license is sold to someone in the US or AUS does the situation change?

Some clarification would be useful as I have just been asked if the transfer fee is still applicable.

Thanks.

Edited by shorter
  • 3 months later...

Hello from Sweden
My VW Arch is very outdated and seems not to be able to run on Win10/11 (at least the dongle does not...). Which is a pity since  I like it, it works smoothly and it meets all the requirement for me and my type of projects/clients.  So I am in a pickle....

1 - If I would want to buy, second hand, a perpetual license to a newer version of VW Arch; can I buy it from any user in any part of the world and still have it valid and functional in Sweden or must it be bought from someone in Sweden/EU?

2 - How new of a version do I need to have it working whithout trouble on Win11 ?

/KJ

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Can anyone speak to the relative supply and demand for 2022 perpetual licenses? I'm trying to make some decisions based on the viability of finding one for purchase within a reasonable time frame, as well as the cost.

Thank you. 

gary osterman

berkeley, ca 94710 

osterman@comcast.net

Edited by osterman