Why is creating a hatch so complex?

I want to create a brick stretcher bond hatch with a mortar joint, as attached. I've even found a hatch that with all the levels I need, I just need to amend their lengths. But f**k me, I wonder if I'm better creating it afresh following tutorial. Off to VW University I go.

Genuine question: does the hatch interface really need to be this difficult or is this just an old interface? Do other apps do this better? Why can't we create hatches similarly to Tiles?

hatch.thumb.png.fe1b6ef4dfb0cf59efe4f42e1f6dc5ed.png

brick_stretcher_bond_v2022.vwx

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 3
15 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

does the hatch interface really need to be this difficult or is this just an old interface?

I think I saw it said somewhere that it was to do with AutoCAD compatibility or something along those lines? I know nothing about AutoCAD I hasten to add. But definitely be interested to know, and to know how it works in Germany + why what they have is not more widely available

• Like 2

Yes it's fine when things are relatively straight/square but how on earth would one make a stone hatch for example from scratch?

1743802477_Screenshot2022-07-14at16_56_39.png.f1c81412c05693a596595d07d0725b79.png

I would really like to edit some of these stone hatches to have them more closely resemble textures I'm using (for when the hatches are surface hatches) but gave up immediately when I tried. The one above has 1001 levels!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

This is the real kicker. Tile fills are SO much easier to make, but they can't be used as Surface Hatches.

So Hatches need to be easier to make/edit... and/or Tiles should be available as Surface Hatches.

Are surface hatches every exportable to dwg?

if not or from memory they have to be rendered then exported as flattened which breaks them to mass groups of lines anyway I don't see why we shouldn't be able to use a tile fill instead of a hatch. 

Make lots of more complex surface treatments more workable. 

Indeed would be good with more random patterns like stone walling to be able to draw the tile directly over the image. 

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...