Class Visibilities Not Updating in Referenced VW File

LukasC

Question

Hello, 

I have a referenced VW file via the create viewport option. I've frozen some of the classes on the referenced file, but when I reload that file those visibility updates are not reflected in the reloaded file. I've gone through and checked viewport properties and it is set up update from the source document. I'm still somewhat new to VW and learning the programs capabilities. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

7 answers to this question

If there are classes that are visible in the Vectorworks file, then they can be turned off by adjusting the Class Visibilities of the Viewport that contains the referenced geometry. Select the Viewport and then select the Classes button in the Object Information Palette and you will see a list of Classes alongside their visibility state in the viewport. You can adjust the visibilities here.

I am not sure that Vectorworks understands freezing and just responds to Layer visibility being ON/OFF but it is years since I had much contact with AutoCAD so I may be wrong about that.

There is "somewhere" a setting to use the Layer Visibilities "from" the referenced

File, for its Viewport.

AFAIK by default a VP from a Reference will just use the current Ref File visibility

status when importing, but lets you adjust (overwrite) it manually for the VP and

VW will keep those manual settings.

If using the Setting I mentioned above, VW should always reset visibilities with

each update of the Reference.

Thank you both for the replies. Zoomer, I do have it set to use layer visibilities from the referenced file but it doesn't seem to recognize any of the changes I make to class visibilities in the reference file. It's the first time since I've been using the reference method that it's not reflecting the changes I make once I reload the file. I usually make a few modifications to the reference file class visibilities over time and those were always reflected when reloaded. 

My workflow is to get the architect's DWG file, import to VW file and then reference that into my landscape file. Usually I clean up the architect's file by freezing/changing visibilities prior to referencing it in, but there's usually more linework I see needs to be turned off and I can go back into the reference, turn off those classes and reload it and those changes happen. But this last file will not recognize any of the class visibility changes. I can do that work in my landscape file by isolating the reference file layer and doing it that way, but find it much easier to go into the reference file and make the changes there. I have found that if I create a new class in the reference file such as OFF and then put the architect's linework onto that new class, turn off visibility and reload, that is reflected in the landscape file. 

• Like 1

I have the same issue. Here in the first screenshot, i created a new class and design layer.image.thumb.png.81165f10ee4848b76cdf2e5d30c7c008.png

but here in the reference file, its not showing the additional class and design layer
image.thumb.png.8f9105cc0f7586437250d1ee1bceb017.png

I'm still new to VW and learning the programs capabilities. Thanks for the assistance. I'm using vectorworks landmark 2023.

There are two ways to reference another VWX file: via referenced Design Layer Viewports or via Layer Import Referencing.

Untitled3.thumb.jpg.02f2d0470a6419f6ed6034bc6b962950.jpg

If you are using design layer viewports as per the original post you will not see the classes from the source file in the organisation palette in the target file because they will be contained within the referenced viewport i.e. select the VP + click on the 'Classes...' button in the OIP to see them.

If you use the layer import method however the classes from the source file will be imported into the target file.

• Like 1