matteoluigi

Data visualization should be able to hide objects, too

Question

For drawing plans for modification of buildings, data Data visualization should be able to hide objects, too. In Archicad for example it's called Rennovation filter. Here you can assign to an object, wether it is existing, new or should be demolished, in order to display all parts in the colors - black:existing, yellow: demolished, red: new or display only the old version or the new version of the building.

However, data visualization actually isn't able to hide objects, which is essential for those plans.

Here you can see, how it is solved in Archicad:

is

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

You can hide objects by setting Pen and Fill attributes settings to None. 

Any good?

You can fliter your data visualization by

• set up class/layer visibility
  • set up IFC as needed and use that
  • set up custom records and use that

and any combination of the above (remember that you can add multiple DVis)

2 minutes ago, _c_ said:

You can fliter your data visualization by

maybe THAT'S the problem. I cannot save a set of Data-Visualization, Layer-visibilities as a set. That's one big advantage of Archicad, actually. There's really a lot of stringency in that system.

First tab - the drawings, second tab - all saved views which contain sets of layer visibilities, filters, there also exists an own "reconstruction" filter renovation-projects, and, the third tab are layouts. 

Actually I always did this by class. Document overrides, not even class overrides.

If you are doing what I think you are doing, you just need black, red, yellow. So your best friend is a dedicated document where the attributes are as needed. If you are doing German permits the level of drawing standard requirements is only achieved with a dedicated doc. I call this plot file.

Edited by _c_

On 11/9/2020 at 6:32 PM, _c_ said:

Actually I always did this by class. Document overrides, not even class overrides.

If you are doing what I think you are doing, you just need black, red, yellow. So your best friend is a dedicated document where the attributes are as needed. If you are doing German permits the level of drawing standard requirements is only achieved with a dedicated doc. I call this plot file.

We do Austrian permit plans, which I think are very similar to German plans, and we never used a dedicated document in order to achieve drawing standard requirements. Could you please explain in which way do you think your workflow would be advantageous?

Hello Thomas,

since most times we need to work on permits (LP4) and construction drawings (LP5) at the same time, and this for a long time -perhaps years- we work as for LP5 and load the project by reference old style in prepared files for LP4. 

These files are set with the attributes are as needed by BauVerVO (previously BauVorlVO).

There are world of differences across the two displays, as you well can imagine.

It is very fast to change the attributes of a class in a document, compared to deal with all overrides/visualisations etc.

Have  a prepared class file > New > Import. Done.

The display is perfect: colours, line thickness level of detail, hatches, etc. And the maintenance is ZERO.

We can then archive the plot file easily as required. The file is always as small as it can be and we can restore the exact content for "Tekturen" or whatever reason.

We have some 3-4 display standards loadable by class import. Fare with this system since references were introduced, also on large projects spanning with great many buildings and couldn't be any happier.