Jump to content
James Russell

Changes to Create Animation 2019 vs 2020

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

 

Please see my attached (and hopefully embedded) video regarding the changes made between 2019 and 2020 Create Animation functions. I'm just a little disappointed/confused/interested.

 

Any feedback, advice or opinions are welcome! 

 

Cheers,

 

James

Edited by James Russell
Spelling. Eugh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'd say that's an excellent tutorial for animation in v2019 and one of the best pieces of feedback I've ever seen. I've added it VW bug/enhancement tracking system. Hopefully somebody from VW will comment here.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi James

 

Thanks for your feedback. I will certainly ensure that our engineering team see your video. The issue with the crashing script and the NURBS curve is clearly a problem which we need to investigate.

 

In terms of the design of the feature, it sounds like you've given this a thorough workout - but I just wanted to check... do the Speed and View Angle controls (below the Keyframes section on the Object Info palette) not help you with building in the pauses and speed controls that you need? 

 

All the best

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the replies thus far. Videos are a little easier for showing these examples (considering we're talking about Animations I should actually animate I guess!)

 

Let me know your thoughts!

 

PS: Added labels to the videos, they worked out better along the bottom, not down the side as mentioned in the original record.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi James,

 

I'm one of the engineers who worked on animations for Vectorworks 2020. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention!

 

I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that we are indeed seeing your issues in animation objects that have been created from saved views. The good news is that animation objects created from paths, as well as orbits and spins, seem to be unaffected. We will endeavor to fix the problems you've highlighted with saved views as soon as possible.

 

Regarding the more fine-grained speed control and transitions from Vectorworks 2019 and earlier, we found that we can often replicate these by varying the speed between multiple keyframes in succession.

 

Thanks!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

@zsarver Hi, im tryng to make a video from a set design. On set we will use travelling in a curve path. I see that vectorworks 2019 have issues whit the transitions, even using the same focus, height, i can clearly see the pause between the saved views. There is a recipe on vector 2019 to do this? Help me! Thanks

Share this post


Link to post

I dont want to highjack this thread, but I just found that animation does not work at all in Spotlight 2020, although it worked in 2019. Is this function now only available in the designer edition ???

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Nashalyn said:

@zsarver Hi, im tryng to make a video from a set design. On set we will use travelling in a curve path. I see that vectorworks 2019 have issues whit the transitions, even using the same focus, height, i can clearly see the pause between the saved views. There is a recipe on vector 2019 to do this? Help me! Thanks

 

If you're using VW 2019 and have created this curved travel path from Save Views you should be able to grab the slider in the Edit Path Animation dialog and drag it all the way to the top, creating a smooth transition line;

143511567_ScreenShot2019-10-25at1_08_22pm.thumb.png.c058308fdf78371ee5d910118f1aec1e.png

 

8 hours ago, halfcouple said:

I dont want to highjack this thread, but I just found that animation does not work at all in Spotlight 2020, although it worked in 2019. Is this function now only available in the designer edition ???

 

No problem. I'm currently using Spotlight 2020 for the examples in my previous videos - however Create Animation is available in all versions, including Fundamentals. Just be cautious if you have transitioned from VW2019 into VW2020 and used the Migration Options to keep your old workspace then you may not have the new 2020 Create Animation set in your current workspace. Head to Tools > Workspaces > Edit Current Workspace and look for the Create Animation subset in the left hand side.

 

10 hours ago, zsarver said:

Hi James,

 

I'm one of the engineers who worked on animations for Vectorworks 2020. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention!

 

I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that we are indeed seeing your issues in animation objects that have been created from saved views. The good news is that animation objects created from paths, as well as orbits and spins, seem to be unaffected. We will endeavor to fix the problems you've highlighted with saved views as soon as possible.

 

Regarding the more fine-grained speed control and transitions from Vectorworks 2019 and earlier, we found that we can often replicate these by varying the speed between multiple keyframes in succession.

 

Thanks!

 

Firstly I appreciated the work you and your team have put in so far in VW2020.

 

As with my second video I have tried to use this new speed slider to alter the path and transition speed between keyframes.

 

A) The slider and context doesn't seem as intuitive nor flexible as the previous Edit Path Animation dialog (at least in my mind, this timeline interface has worked quite well for years).

B) There doesn't seem to be the ability to hold on keyframes for a duration of time.

C) Reducing the speed of one or more keyframes does not slow the path movement down, it seems to instead reduce the video duration and ignore speed altogether. Increasing the speed (as shown in my video above) also doesn't seem to have any effect - just incase your context of -99% to +100% refers to inverse movement speed for some reason.

D) Field of view variables should be inherited from the Saved View they were created from to avoid tedious tweaking of FOV after creation.

 

Should you have solutions and specific methods which can replicate, solve or guide the points above I'd love to see a video showing this in action. Otherwise alternatives might include reinstating the old toolset, at least in another menu or depreciation type effect as with other new experimental tool releases. 

 

Again I respect the efforts to improve this tool, and enjoyed creating my first 360º video output which is a new function - however without the ability to pause in place the user in this experience has no time to appreciate the efforts put in.

 

Cheers,

 

James

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...