Micel

'Glow Texture' - I'm new to it!

Hi Folks, 

Hope yer can help...working on a custom lighting project and would like to use the 'Glow Texture' effect to cut down on rendering time.

Never tried it before, so I've started having a play around and the problem I'm having is that the effect looks to kick in while it's rendering yet I end up with a 'White Object' once rendering is completed?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 16.37.38.png

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 16.37.24.png

what are your settings for the texture object? In general, a glow texture, emitting light works best behind another solid object.

Hi Kevin

Settings are: 

Colour: Fresnel

Reflectivity: Glow

Transparency: None

Bump: None

What do you have when you hit Edit next to Glow? What does the geometry look like rendered, and what are you looking to achieve?

Or you might want to consider Backlit instead of Glow, with a light source behind it.

The lighting project I'm working on involves over 80 'glass orbs' and I'd like to add a 'glow' effect so that I can provide a night scene.

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 17.23.53.png

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 17.18.19.png

Hi Tamsin,

I'll give that a try

Those spheres are chrome? Maybe turn off cast shadows and add another sphere inside with a glow, but lower the percentage.

The spheres are glass with a chrome bulb holder - I've drawn the actual bulb itself and added a 'glow' texture, but unfortunately I end up with a 'white' object and no light emitting....

You have to have light bouncing turned on in Renderworks for a glow to emit light... but from your screenshot, it looks like you do.

• Like 1

Hi Tamsin/Kevin

I'll give everything you've mentioned a try and let you know how I get on...appreciate your time.

• Like 1

Had a play around this morning, but still unable to get the 'glow' to transfer on to surrounding objects...

Maybe it's something simple that I'm just overlooking...who knows?

I've attached my test file, if you do have the time to spare I'd appreciate any input you can offer.

Glow_Test.vwx

Hi Kevin,

All is good...for what ever reason the 'glow' texture has now decided to work....thanks again for your time.

• Like 1

No time to explore your file just at the moment (in the middle of baking chocolate cake...)

But I did whip up this quick example. It is a closed box of walls floor and ceiling, with a camera inside and a sphere that is coated in glow.

I have added a Heliodon as this will not penetrate the closed box, but will turn off the default light in the scene.

Render with Realisitic Interior Final and you'll see the texture is emitting light. 

Render with Fast Renderworks (which doesn't use Light Bouncing) and you'll see it doesn't emit light.

Light bouncing is critical to success.

If you want more light, you can increase the percentage in the texture...

Glow Sphere.vwx

Hi Tamsin,

Thankfully all is good...but I would be interested in seeing the file you've sent over, unfortunately I can't open it in VW 2017 - when you have the time could you re-send (no rush)?

Again, thanks for your time and good luck with the cake... 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:23 AM, Tamsin Slatter said:

Here it is in 2017...

And here's the cake (soon to be smothered in chocolate icing and raspberries...)!

Glow Sphere v2017.vwx

IMG_5604.JPG

Num num!!

5 hours ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

It didn't last long...

Unsurprising!

Hello Micel:

Note that you can set the glow % above 100% to get more light out of the fixture if you need to.

• Like 2